The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Town & Country 3.8L. now with 136K miles.
Van started occasionally going into limp mode in 2008 @ about 125k miles. Shop scanned with DRB, got codes 36 and 53 (fault immediately after shift, speed error in third). Shop repl input and output sensors. Problems fixed. Transmission fine until April 2010, started occasionally going into limp again. A shut off and restart immediately clears the limp mode. I changed both sensors again, dropped pan, all looked good, changed fluid and filter (used Mopar ATF+4 only). Fixed issue until Nov 2010, started going into limp mode regularly again, repl sensors again, problems persisted. Had scanned again this week, got codes 36, 51 (speed error in 1st), and 53. Shop performed CVI test, stated all values normal indicating internals were healthy HOWEVER the error codes mean ONLY mechanical or hydrolic issues per the shop manual. Van seems to go into limp mode typically after 3rd or 4th stop sign. Doesn't do it every day, always clears on restart and shifts perfectly thru all gears except when it goes into limp mode. Any ideas? Why does replacing speed sensors alleviate the problem for a while even though codes do not indicate bad speed sensors? THANKS!

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Given the age and mileage and the fact that it has clean fluid already, I would drain a quart of fluid and add a quart of lucas to it. Sounds like worn clutches or low fluid pressure causing a slip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've read to never add Lucus to a Chrysler ultradrive trans- too think and will cause more problems. Was thinking maybe a 10oz bottle of red LubeGard fluid conditioner. Anyone used that in a Chrysler transmission?

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I've heard more bad than good about the lubeguard. My trans has had lucas in it (probably 1.5 quarts at the moment) since I swapped it in. It has helped the only issue a little and is probably why my $175 transmission is still going strong with 20k miles on it so far.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not sure if this might be the cause but my 94 T&C randomly went into limp mode a few times, and i cant remember the codes it set off but it ended up being the relay in the relay/fuse box under the hood that did it. Maybe thats the cause? Just an idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts