The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first post here sadly under not so good conditions. So here goes.

I have a 97 Caravan 3.0. Installed a new fuel pump about 5 months ago. About a month ago it started stalling only when coasting with a throttle closed position. I pulled the throttle body off and cleaned it along with the IAC valve passages this resulted in no change. One 'backyard' thing I did was make a block off plate for the manifold opening with a small hole drilled in it for it to idle. I then held the IAC Valve in my hand and the pintle would move about .5 of a mm. No one can tell me how much it should try to move. Then I tested the TPS sensor I didn't write the voltages down but it did swing very smoothly up to about 4.5 or so volts. I tested fuel pressure at about 47lbs, the MAP sensor output voltages vary with engine speed, again no exact numbers. I checked for vacuum leaks and found none. The only code I have is for bank 1 O2 sensor this code had been on for a long while. The key dance only gives me code 12 as the battery has been disconnected recently. One strange thing I have found since I've been driving this vehicle is that when it stalls if you just goto neutral and try to start it, it will start but idle very rough. If you cycle the key completely off it will start and idle fine until the next time you come to a coasting stop. Googling different forum posts talks about a 'lazy' TPS sensor and a 'lazy' IAC valve that won't set a code but causes problems. I don't want to just start throwing parts at it. I read about the shutdown relay and the 'distance' sensor which I would call a VSS sensor. Almost thinking electrical because of the cycling of the key to get it to idle correctly. Any ideas of where to look or a known area of concern on this Mitsi engined van?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, solved.

Believe it or not it was the TPS sensor. I was playing with it in the garage and still with no codes but the O2 sensor. I was revving it and jiggling wires to see it if was a broken wire, etc. I unplugged the TPS sensor and it straightened out. Took it for a drive and is no longer stalling at all with the sensor unplugged. I picked up the TPS sensor and O2, installed them and it is like a new vehicle. Just goes to show that even though there is no codes to not rule out a certain part. Basic trouble shooting would of gotten me there earlier but never thought it would run better with it unplugged.

Thanks for looking, Jack

1 - 3 of 3 Posts