The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 GV rear brake line went out today during a hard brake. After the adventure of getting it home, I took a look at it. It appears to be from above the gas tank (that I just filled of course). The lines are completely corroded.

What is the best source for replacements - any pre-bent options?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Easy enough fix.. You will just have to drop the tank!!! Obviously your going to have to drain the tank! Find yourself a clean drum or similar to store the fuel in. Don't think you can buy pre-moulded in shape break pipe certainly not overt the pond!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The OP is showing shows a location in the USA rather than the UK. If that's correct, and even if it isn't, the many pre-formed brake lines all have Mopar part numbers that seem to be orderable. The only aftermarket parts I've seen available are the short hard line and reinforced hose assemblies at each wheel. Its possible to bend and double flare brake line with reasonably priced hand tools, and the unformed line is very inexpensive. The least expensive tools will not prove satisfying. Your first few attempts are not likely to be fully satisfying even with good tools. If you need 1 or 2 or 3 lines you might want to skip the learning experience and buy the parts. If you need many segments that are many 100's of dollars of pre-formed brake lines, bending your own might be worth trying. If it turns out you don't have a talent for it you can always order the parts and sell the tools on eBay.

As greensleeves wrote, you would need to empty the fuel tank before removing the straps to drop the tank. Even if you can manage the 130# or so weight, its too floppy on its own. I prefer letting it pump itself out through the fuel pressure test port at the front of the engine into suitably thirsty vehicles and/or the usual 5 gallon fuel jugs. Since the tank is full I recommend removing the schraeder valve to allow a faster fuel flow, just don't forget to put it back. Continue until the flow stops. After dropping the tank I recommend disposing of the small unreachable volume of fuel grit and yuck remaining in the tank, and changing the fuel pick up sock. When your brake repairs are complete you will need to put some fuel into the tank before you try to start it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
or you can get lengths of line and run it around the tank instead of takeing it out
i wouldnt think of buying preformed for one of these.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,021 Posts
If you do opt for a pre-bent replacement and you have ABS, get rear lines for a 96! The 97-2000 use a stainless steel braided flex section up by the ABS end that cause the steel line up there to rust out prematurely from dissimilar metals (galvanic reaction), using the steel line as the sacrificial anode. The 96 had the brake line wound into a couple of coils to assist in flexibility, and it fits in the later vans just fine (I used it).

Others have replaced the whole line themselves with solid line bent themselves, and slipped it between the frame and gas tank and zip-tied it in place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts