The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't know if it even has a cabin filter, maybe I missed it somewhere. Trying to clean up the a/c system, I think the the previous owners used it for a cat box. At least thats what it smells like when the air is on. Gunna try that cleaner thats sprayed through the condensation drain next and then check my pressure switches. Only blows hot air, clutch will engage if I manually trip the relay. So if my switches are good I can go to refrigerant. I've been avoiding this part. My girlfriend put a can of freon in it and said it worked for a lil bit so she put another can in with stop leak in it. I was raised being told that any stop leak type product does nothing but clog things up.And not just the holes it's supposed to. IDK I was also raised you don't do something to someone's vehicle without their permission. Crazy

·
Registered
370 Posts
There is no cabin filter. You can clean the evaporator coil and see what's inside if you remove the glove box door, the fan assembly and a small triangular panel a little inboard of the fan assembly. This "triangular" panel is just held in with a rubber seal and it contains the evap temp sensor.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,332 Posts
If it smells that bad, that is usually what leaking refrigerant smells like. I tried getting the A/C working on our 2000 once a long time ago. Put in some R134a and it worked for a little bit, but smelled like manure inside the van. In a couple of days the A/C was back to not working, and the excess heat under the hood from running it melted the solder in the alternator! I removed the alternator and removed the back cover, and could see the solder had melted and run off of the diodes. Anyway, the manure smell was the refrigerant leaking out of the evaporator (a common problem in these vans). I ordered a brand new evaporator, but never had time to put it in as it takes 8 hours to remove the dash to swap it out. We were living in an apartment and couldn't do that at the time, and now the van is so rusted it's not worth putting it in.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sounds like you could use a dose of Fridgi Fresh. The dash evaporator can get smelly after sitting over the winter. What I do is start the van up, put the AC on full and the fan on high and then crack a window. Move to the outside of the van and on the passenger side of the plenum start pouring or spraying some rubbing alcohol through the grill. One small bottle should kill anything on the core. Some guys use Fridgi Fresh from BG chemicals but it is a bit pricey so I use rubbing alcohol. Should smell a lot better...

https://www.amazon.com/BG-Frigi-Fre...ocphy=9033265&hvtargid=pla-569205905226&psc=1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts