The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can a used BCM be used?I know it would need to be reflashed,is this possible?Or is there a way for the dealer to check just the BCM or the TCM?

·
Registered
225 Posts
a used BCM could be used as is I did it on my caravan 98
a bonus was the odometer rolling back the BCM came from a van with less mileage

but the opposite is also true :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
so the module does not need to be reflashed?Are there any possible side effects from swapping that i should know about?
no need to reflash if the module come from another van of the same year model and with the same drivetrain

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Every so often all the lights will go completly off(Tech,Speedometer,Fuel Gauge,Ect).And the mechaniuc said there was a failure between the TCM and the BCM.He said he checked the ground,All the wires and connections
I have a used TCM and BCM on hand,but i have to take the van back to him when its happening to know for sure which it is.I want to be prepared either way.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I thought that might be your problem. The solder connections on the instrument cluster circuit boards on the 98-99 vans are famous for cracking and causing symptoms like yours. (also, failure to start, alarm problems, etc.) Usually you can test this by banging the top of the dash to see if the gauges come back. It is a quick and cheap fix to resolder the connections on the board and many have done so. I would look into that first before replacing the BCM.

There are many posts here with similar problems and instructions on how to repair.

Do a search for "cluster solder" or take a look at this one:

http://forum.chryslerminivan.net/showthread.php?t=6310

·
5000 Club
5,719 Posts
But after all my gauges come back on my check engine light stays on.

If the PCM detects a fault in an emissions related system, the SE light will stay on until the fault is fixed. A fault in any other system will make the light stay on for the next 40 warm up cycles. If the fault reoccurrs before 40 cycles are reached, the 40 cycle count starts over. I would have the codes read on a scanner. Short of that you can do the key dance and read the MIL codes in your driveway.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok the gauges went off tonight and i stopped at a red light and hit the dash and they came back on.But y is the check engine light still on?

·
Registered
225 Posts
disconnect your positive battery pole and waith 15 minutes
connect it again and see if your check engine is on

this will reset your computer if the problem is persistant the check engine will be on again

·
5000 Club
5,719 Posts
You are now seeing indications of what Pappy was talking about in post #8. It's very likely you have a cracked or cold solder joint on the instrument cluster circuit board, specifically where the connector's contacts are soldered to the circuit board. Temperature or vibrations opens the crack wide enough to create either high resistance or an open in the CCD multyplex data bus circuit. This kills the instruments and gives you the data bus fail codes you are seeing (P1698/95). When you hit the dash, the connection vibrates and moves the solder joint enough to close the circuit, bringing the instruments back to life. As I stated in post # 10 your check engine light will turn off after 40 warm up cycles or when manually reset.

The Chrysler Collision Detection data bus consists of two wires and circuits internal to various modules (computers) that carry most of the data between the TCM, BCM, PCM, Airbag module, heater air conditioner control module, and the instrument cluster. An open or high resistance anywhere in the data bus circuit will create seemingly unrelated
problems. A failure in the cluster connection is by far the most common fail point.

This link to a slide show is in the post Pappy linked to you. It shows you how to get to the cluster and how to fix the solder joints.http://photoshow.comcast.net/watch/uQ6gE3nV

1 - 15 of 15 Posts