The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hmmmmmm.... Two Days.... Two Puddles..... Two Quick "Battery" lights.... and then..... FAN RELAY FAILURE (whirred the Battery to death twice in one day before I detected the problem) :)

Then.... Slowly discharging battery for 2 weeks, until failed to start...

"Diodes Failing" detected on performance test (Thanks AutoZone).....

Alternator replacement looms - - I am uncertain whether to replace with a 90 amp or 120 amp Alt. I am uncertain what the original factory calls for.

I understand the larger amp Alt was installed with Tow Package option by Chrysler (yes, I do like the Chrysler Van!). However, I don't believe my "Covered Wagon" had the tow package...

Cost is not a factor in this repair. However, I don't want to throw money on capacity I don't need.... so, I am asking opinions be posted to this thread before March 21st.... then I will commit to the Part....

THANKS TO ALL.... my high school days learning about auto systems to save labor costs shine through as I learn from each post...

(I am paying to have the Alternator installed :nut: )

The Relay Switch was my Pride Project - - :cool:

·
Registered
497 Posts
If 90 really is the base alternator, and 120 is for the tow package, I would only get the 120 unit if you tow regularly. And then, only if you tow something that requires a 12V Aux line and/or trailer brakes (like running a popup fridge, or maintaining a trailer battery, etc). Otherwise, just go with the base unit. If you never need the extra juice, the regulator will limit the amps anyway. Wasted capacity and $$$.

·
Man. Mopar. Minivan.
3,895 Posts
If your van came with the 3.8L V6, it will be nice to have the 125amp alternator. My alternator went on me, my van has the tow package, so I replaced it with the 125amp. My 3.3L 1996 had the 90amp and I replaced it with a 125amp and I like it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
If you compare the 3.3L with the 90amp unit (before it went bad), and the 3.3L with the 125amp unit, what's the difference? What do you like about it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts