The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lately, the switch doesn't always work, unless it is jiggled, or pushed, to put on the foglights. Anyone else had this? Is there any easy fix? Thank you.

·
3rd Gen Plebeian
415 Posts
It's caused by corrosion on the contacts inside the switch. Maybe you left the window down and it rained?

Best solution is to replace the switch. You can temporarily fix it by removing the switch, and cleaning the corrosion off the back of the switch with electrical contact cleaner.

I ended up just replacing my switch as this was a continuous problem on my van.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Lately, the switch doesn't always work, unless it is jiggled, or pushed, to put on the foglights. Anyone else had this? Is there any easy fix? Thank you.
The instrument dimmer dial on my 1998 GV had gotten progressively temperamental over the course of 1-2 yrs. The dimming function more or less settled to two settings at either full bright or very dim with not much in between. Eventually this caused the front overhead map light to fail to turn on when the doors open. I too did take apart the headlight switch and attempted to clean one of the brushes actuated by the dimmer dial. This bad brush and its contact looked burned and corroded and caused erratic and erroneous resistance on certain pins that go to the PCM. The fix lasted maybe a week or two before reverting to the prior symptoms. Jiggling the switch and dimmer dials sometimes can temporarily restore the lighting control. Eventually I gave in and ordered a new switch for about $70 from RockAuto about a yr ago. The replacement has worked well since.

Woof

·
Loveably weird
309 Posts
I haven't replied, because my immaculate van, was smashed up the next day.
Oh, wow! That really stinks! I know how you feel, though. Last February I bought a real nice Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer. 15 days later it got totaled by some guy who just had to drive way too fast on an icy street. (And, no, it was not me.)

·
3rd gen > all others
2,315 Posts
It's always the other drivers ruining things. The day we got our 5th gen van paid off and had just received the clear title in the mail, a new mom made a left oncoming turn on a red arrow in front of my wife who was doing 40mph. Totalled our van (really not much damage though) and the other vehicle had to be taken away on a flatbed. Other vehicle was a Ford Freestyle that wasn't even off the new car lot for 24 hours! Wife had hit the rear axle and swung it over, so maybe it was totalled too? My wife is still recovering over 3 years later, and hopefully soon we'll get a resolution from Geico.

Thanks for this thread though. My 3rd gen was starting to exhibit the same symptoms when I stopped driving it. When turning on the fogs sometimes, I'd lose all lights for a second (while pulling the switch). Figured the contacts are getting dirty or burnt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts