The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys- any help here would be much appreciated. driving my 99 voyager home today from work and since i can remember its always ran just a little loud when my foot is on the gas. all of a sudden today that noise got much, much louder! loud enough to pretty much dampen any noise within the vehicle. it sounds like its coming from the bottom of the van. my first guess is that it would be a muffler/exhaust problem...maybe a hole? the van has about 177,000 on it and im frustrated because i'm not able to monitor the temp or anything cause it has the infamous "dead gauges" problem. what do you guys think? is this going to cause me any issues or mainly just annoyance. im not looking to put much money in because its my beater mobile. thanks guys. i appreciate your help!:

·
3rd gen > all others
3,627 Posts
What engine? I remember one or two members with the 3.3/3.8 V6 having the exhaust crossover pipe fail/break. That would definitely make a louder engine and also hurt gas mileage because the exhaust would look lean to the O2 sensor. Exhaust manifold could have also cracked somewhere. Time for a closer inspection with a good flashlight!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well after taking a closer look I found my problem! The cat converter pipe has completed broken off about 1 foot in front of the muffler. Do You know of any good way to "jimmy rig" this problem so I can get a couple more months out of this guy before buying something new? The pipe is just hanging there so im going to use a coat hanger to support it and I actually thing I will be able to somewhat fit the piping back together. Is there any products you guys know of to try and somewhat seal it? Thanks!

·
3rd gen > all others
3,627 Posts
There's the ghetto way using a soup can and hose clamps that will rust away in less than a year, or the proper way of measuring the pipes' diameter and buying an adapter exhaust pipe and 2 exhaust clamps at the auto parts store, and slipping the new pipe over the old pipes and clamping it. Make sure everything is tight, as you don't want the parts falling off and hitting a motorcyclist behind you! Good luck. :)

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
That's exactly how my exhaust failed. I got a new cat back system made up for $200.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts