The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gears are stripped in this actuator. It is very expensive to replace. $90.00 on-line or $160.00 from the dealer. Blend door actuators only run $20.00 to $40.00 depending on source. The only difference I can see is the recirc actuator has a lever on it. The rest of the unit looks identical. Does anyone know if the internal gears are the same. I would think that I could take the guts out of a blend door actuator and repair my recirc unit. Has anyone tried it? It would save a bunch of cash if it works.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No responses. Doesn't anyone know the answer? I'm an old retired guy that can't waste $20.00 to $40.00 on a guess.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am trying to determine if the gear is the same before I spend the money on a new actuator just to get the gears out of it. Thank you for the response.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would suggest junkyard, but im sure you are clever enough to have considered that for yourself. On a side note - for whomever is familiar with the system - i would LOVE to put a choke on the damn recirc door to have it normally closed...plausible?

Also,

However, it could easily be prohibitively expensive

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would suggest junkyard, but im sure you are clever enough to have considered that for yourself. On a side note - for whomever is familiar with the system - i would LOVE to put a choke on the damn recirc door to have it normally closed...plausible?

Also,

However, it could easily be prohibitively expensive
My next step is to simply unplug it. I believe the incoming air will force it open so I think a piece of .032 safety wire from the lever to a screw on the plenum cover will hold it closed. I will probably buy a new blend door actuator and take it apart to see if the gears will fit. If not, I'll probably need the it in the future anyway. Everybody carries those so they must break fairly often.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Man, if you have time...wait, scratch that... whenever next time I'm at the junkyard and I find a husk where someone has already removed everything in the way I will pull all the gears I can find and send them to you, I'll even pay for the stamp.
Upon reflection, I have a reoccurring noise that could very well be the same issue. So, perhaps I will be the one shucking the husk, and I will just do it twice.
I live in the Bay area. Within 50 miles of my zip code there are 63 dodge caravans alone...not grand...not to mention T&Cs, voyagers, and so on. When I go to the junkyard, there are usually no less than 10 donors.

Yet I still can't find a twin of my bumper with the mounts intact!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are no wrecking yards withing 40 miles of me that have anything over 10 years old. The one local place only caters to body shops and insurance companies. I'd be real interested in what you find. Mine had that recurring noise behind the glove box for several years when only a couple teeth were missing. Now only a couple remain so when the little motor finds one it slams the door. Kinda interesting if it wasn't so annoying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That's the exact noise I have. The blend door does nothing. Then, I recalibrate, and it works for a while. Guess it's time to check things out. After wifes and mothers bday vacation early Jan. I'll assume you can tell me what holds the gear to the assembly? Also, that's effin crazy that there's no junkyard around you! Where do cars go to die?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are 4 or 5 tabs on the actuator housing that you carefully pry to remove the cover. There is one keeper on the main gear that can be pried off. The rest are loose on their shafts. The keeper can be hammered flat and reused if not broken, otherwise it would need to be replaced from a hardware store. Youtube has a pretty good video. In days gone by I used to roam several junk yards, picking up parts for lots of projects. Now all the yards have closed except one and they won't let you past the front counter. They can't be bothered with anything over 10 years old or worth less than the labor to remove, catalog, and shelve it. No more find and remove yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts