The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The A/C pressure is too low to keep the compressor running so i can charge the system. The hose I was using to charge the system leaked and I ended up with less freon than I started with...bummer.
Now I have to figure out how to jumper the pressure switch. I assume that this will work to keep the compressor running long enough to pull in more freon. Or should I take it to the shop?
I couldn't find a thread or youtube video on this.

Has anyone done this and can you offer some advice?

Thanks
I have to say that I'm amazed and pleased with the amount of support I've received in the past! Thank you for taking the time to help.
Harry

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
698 Posts
What
The A/C pressure is too low to keep the compressor running so i can charge the system. The hose I was using to charge the system leaked and I ended up with less freon than I started with...bummer.
Now I have to figure out how to jumper the pressure switch. I assume that this will work to keep the compressor running long enough to pull in more freon. Or should I take it to the shop?

Thanks
I have to say that I'm amazed and pleased with

Whatthe amount of support I've received in the past! Thank you for taking the time to help.
Harry

Thanks
I have to say that I'm amazed and pleased with the amount of support I've received in the past! Thank you for taking the time to help.
Harry
What are you trying to charge it with ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Often supplying the inlet port with enough refrigerant will raise the pressure enough that the clutch will engage. If not, and you are sure you do not to much refrigerant, the compressor clutch will engage with the application of 12 volts to the connector. Polarity shouldn't matter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Often supplying the inlet port with enough refrigerant will raise the pressure enough that the clutch will engage. If not, and you are sure you do not to much refrigerant, the compressor clutch will engage with the application of 12 volts to the connector. Polarity shouldn't matter.
Thanks! I'll give it a try this weekend. The temps here in Minnesota have been above 90 everyday with 50+% humidity - ick! It looks like access to the compressor is from under the vehicle. Hopefully, it's not too difficult to get to.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Find the compressor relay. Remove same. Numbers on bottom of relay;#30 is battery voltage...not sure,But believe #87 is comp. Jumper these 2 at connection. DO NOT jumper #30 to the computer.

Have gauges connected to both low & high ports with a can connected and ready. Be sure to evacuate the hoses after hooking up. Start engine, turn A/C on high fan, stick a thermometer in center vent, do not open gauges. Check pressure; fully charged system should read about 36 +/- on low, 250 +/- on high @ 95degree ambient with 50 degrees +/- out the vent, engine running at 1500 rpms.

If not, there is a leak. Find & fix the leak. DO NOT charge the system until all hoses are evacuated at the gauges and system. "If" the system is completely out of freon, which I doubt, pull a vacume, down to 27/28 microns for about an hour. If it holds, charge the system.

All the above is based on R 134A.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is my first time using a manifold set. How do I evacuate the hoses? (What hoses are connected to what port?)
I have a vacuum pump.

·
Premium Member
2009 Chrysler Town and Country
698 Posts
I recommend you seek a professional you can damage the system or injure yourself . Just not worth it to risk either one .

There are a few things that you really need to comprehend and understand about a HVAC system that just watching a utube video won't give you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Dealing with some high pressures on the high side; 250 psi +/-. First, never hook up with A/C running. Evacuate the hoses at the gauges. With the valves closed crack the low side hose at the gauge a LITTLE, freon should come out; immediately close the hose. Do same with the high side. Hoses are "evacutuated" IE: all air is removed. Which will "Damn" an A/C system. Do the same with the "freon" hose, only have the can open, valve shut.

The high side is for "Info" only. Never,ever charge thru it.

We all have to learn sometime, so, get a good set of gauges, at least a 2 stage vacumn pump, and a GOOD sniffer, preferably from the A/C supply house , which will cost over $100 bucks, but, well worth it in the long run.
"Generally" most leaks are at some connections, so thats where to start.

The dealerships,independent garages etc. charge obscene prices. WHY, someone screems, because the a/c system on vehicles constantly shakes, rattles, and rolls, when moving. Not to mention the high heat factor. The question is; when, not if, is it gonna leak or some component fail. So, they can't warranty their work for long, if at all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts