The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well my compressor seems to be shot
-a/c off, fine but with a/c on, belt squeels and burns the belt which means the compressor is seized.

I can mechanically change the compressor no problem but i saw i had to replace the condensor and bleed out the a/c system and waht not...

so whats the correct way to change the a/c compressor?

thanks

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
The correct way to replace it is to remove the old one. Flush the system out well with some solvent (I forget what one, someone will know though) to get the bits of compressor out of the system. Then install a new filter/drier assembly and the compressor, leak check and fill.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
You run a high chance of killing the new compressor as pieces of the old one will be floating around the system. Some people go through like 4 compressors before they decide to do it right.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Honestly, the flushing is not too bad if you have an air compressor. You pour as much fluid as possible in the return line at the a/c compressor and blow it out backwards with compressed air. The expansion valve should be taken off for this procedure as well. The flushing solvent shouldn't be too expensive either.

I guess the difficulty of this depends on how much wrenching experience you have?

You could take a chance and just throw the compressor on. But the system would need to be evacuated with a vacuum pump anyways as air cannot be in the system. You can't just fill up with the stuff sold at auto stores (it doesn't work as well anyways, I hear it is propane and not real r134a).

·
Registered
801 Posts
That's right Andy, you can't leave any air in there, you have to evacuate the whole system for at least 30 minutes.
I tried that stuff in the cans a few years ago and it sux, doesn't work that well, waste of money, I ended up getting a shop to do it, they also have the proper gauges, and they fill it with the correct amount of refrigerant.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
To really check compressor first:

1. Remove belt

2. AC pulley should spin freely. Bearings should feel good.

3. Engage clutch. You may have to apply 12 volts directly to clutch.

4. See if you can turn compressor.

It's possible the clutch may be your problem and not the compressor. Clutches are replaceable.

·
5000 Club
5,773 Posts
Model year? If you have an 03 your compressor is warranted for 7 years or 70K miles under an extended "secret" warranty. Referense TSB 24-004-04 dated June 1, 2004 "A/C compressor failure".

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
Model year? If you have an 03 your compressor is warranted for 7 years or 70K miles under an extended "secret" warranty. Referense TSB 24-004-04 dated June 1, 2004 "A/C compressor failure".
That's right.

Of course a lot of good that did me... my compressor in my 03 went at 105K... But still, factory OEM parts (compressor, updated lines, dryer) installed for around $900 to me was not a bad price I thought to be cool on a hot day. I do plan on keeping the van for a while. If I was going to trade it next year I'd just put an A/C bypass pully in place of the compressor and ride with the windows down.

Reactions: dun4now
1 - 10 of 10 Posts