The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 T&C 3.8L 182,000 miles
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this something I can fix myself? I don’t know which motor controls the driver side vents. I was just thinking of leaving it in the cold setting if it’s possible. I tried recalibrating the A/C motors and it did not make a difference.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Is this something I can fix myself? I don’t know which motor controls the driver side vents. I was just thinking of leaving it in the cold setting if it’s possible. I tried recalibrating the A/C motors and it did not make a difference.
I don't know if this helps but my 06 t&c has a sluggish mode door (cold coming out defrost) and my mechanic pointed to the one of 3 motors and tapped on it and I saw it start to rotate to the dashboard vents.Its100degrees in florida so I just leave it there , but I'll have to replace it in November. Mine are under dashboard, to the right of accelerator. Good luck

·
Drivin' Maniac
2002 Grand Caravan ES 3.8L
2,421 Posts
had this issue too, presented exactly like a blend door issue, the system was low on refrigerant. check your pressures
Low coolant COULD create a difference in temp left>right.

Check the RADIATOR level, cold. (not the plastic reservoir)
Hold the engine in a lower gear and rev it for 30 seconds a few times too, that helps purge air pockets in the heater matrix.

·
Registered
433 Posts
With cold ac position selected, no air passes through the heater core so coolant level or air in the cooling system will have no effect on vent temperature.

Low ac charge/refrigerant can sometimes cool only half of the evaporator core. This can cause only half of the dash vents to cool well.

Bad blend doors and/or actuators can cause various dash vent temperature problems.
My money is on the blend door actuator.

The blend door actuator for the divers side should be just above the gas pedal on the side of the air system. Place your hand on the various actuators and move the driver's side temp selector, you should feel one of the actuators moving inside. They are a pain to change using a stubby screwdriver, but it is doable.

·
Registered
2001 T&C 3.8L 182,000 miles
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I could not believe it was not the blend doors. It was in fact low freon. Do people still say freon? It was low refrigerant due to a leak from something bending the lower part of the condenser. So now, I did what most people will hate. I have added A/C Pro Stop leak for metal and rubber. So far so good. Yes, it did cause a restriction when trying to add r134a the next day. I would have not done this, but the A/C had been performing just ok for a very many years. I have replaced everything Except the front and rear evaporators in the past to inccrease performance but no diffrence, so the problem lies there. Probably due to stop leak from the previous owner. Not sure if A/C flush can get that out. Given the cost to replace the evaporators, I just figured to use the stop leak for now. Do these vans typically have very cold A/C like the old GM's and Fords? I never had a Grand Caravan and Town and Country with fully working A/C. Expect for a 1999 4cyl caravan which did perform extremely well. So I assume they tend to have HVAC problems in the 4th gen. Correct me if I am wrong and its just my luck.

·
Super Moderator
30,138 Posts
My 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan had all original ac, water pump, radiators the day I sold it in 2018 with 370,000+ km on it. There was an extended warranty on the ac for some reason but I never had any problems. Ice cold air and no recharges.

More problems? Not for me. (y) The best system ever.

• Love
Reactions: reyada476 and Baron

·
Registered
2000 Chrysler 300M 3.5L, 2001 Dodge Grand Caravan Sport 3.3L
16 Posts
I have this same issue, but when I put gauges on the A/C ports it says the system is full. Would my next step be to replace a blend door?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts