The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 T/C 41AE 135,000 miles

Was driving on the highway and all of a sudden it dropped out of gear. Pulled off, popped the hood and could see smoke coming up from transmission dipstick. Got it towed home. Codes were 740,734,720. I can list what they are if needed but I’m trying to keep the post short.
Let it cool down it would move forward in all gears except reverse; made a weird noise when shifted into reverse and it wouldn’t move backwards. I lifted the vehicle up on both ends(where it sits now still). Put it in drive, vehicle wheels spun and rear wheels spun as well. When put in reverse I heard a rock in dryer sound coming from the beneath pan area.
Drained the fluid, dropped pan and found small metal crumbs some had a copper/goldish sheen to them. Really no fuzz on magnets because I just did a pan drop w/filter change. ATF4 obviously used. CVIs are in range.
Was considering dropping the valve body to see if I can see anything noticeable but before I did that I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions on some trouble shooting? I know something is going to need to be replaced wether it’s the whole thing or something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know the reason for the failure? I’m 99% positive it’s going to need replacing in some form or another. I guess I’m just trying to pinpoint what was the point of failure. Torque converter,clutch discs,pump,etc…. and if it could be replaced by not removing the whole unit. I know some issues can be repaired by dropping valve body. One of my biggest concerns is if I decide to rebuild it or buy a reman I don’t want the same issue to happen 10 miles down the street after the new one is in.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
no idea, you could've cracked the reverse drum, that's a common failure involving loss of reverse in automatics

i don't know why that would happen at highway speeds, but many things including the few clutch packs serve many functions and multiple gears

if you suddenly lost reverse for no reason with no noises or reasons, i'd agree about trying to mess with the valve body, but given the noises and other symptoms, it sounds like something internally has failed catastrophically

·
3rd gen > all others
3,769 Posts
Sounds like hard parts broke, which will require removal and either disassembly/rebuild or replacement. Since you said 41Ae it is awd, so would be a much harder transmission to find. You could remove the differential and transfer case adapter from the transmission, clean them and swap them into a front wheel drive transmission to keep your awd.

With metal particles in the pan, don't forget to thoroughly clean/flush the cooler lines and cooler (or replace the cooler).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts