The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 T/C 41AE 135,000 miles

Was driving on the highway and all of a sudden it dropped out of gear. Pulled off, popped the hood and could see smoke coming up from transmission dipstick. Got it towed home. Codes were 740,734,720. I can list what they are if needed but I’m trying to keep the post short.
Let it cool down it would move forward in all gears except reverse; made a weird noise when shifted into reverse and it wouldn’t move backwards. I lifted the vehicle up on both ends(where it sits now still). Put it in drive, vehicle wheels spun and rear wheels spun as well. When put in reverse I heard a rock in dryer sound coming from the beneath pan area.
Drained the fluid, dropped pan and found small metal crumbs some had a copper/goldish sheen to them. Really no fuzz on magnets because I just did a pan drop w/filter change. ATF4 obviously used. CVIs are in range.
Was considering dropping the valve body to see if I can see anything noticeable but before I did that I wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions on some trouble shooting? I know something is going to need to be replaced wether it’s the whole thing or something else.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you know the reason for the failure? I’m 99% positive it’s going to need replacing in some form or another. I guess I’m just trying to pinpoint what was the point of failure. Torque converter,clutch discs,pump,etc…. and if it could be replaced by not removing the whole unit. I know some issues can be repaired by dropping valve body. One of my biggest concerns is if I decide to rebuild it or buy a reman I don’t want the same issue to happen 10 miles down the street after the new one is in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts