The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is an excellent example of the community that we have here.

Since the day that we brought our van home, I've wanted to do a retrofit similar to what I did on my Caliber (blacked out headlight housings + HIDs + projectors)

I've been looking for a set of black headlights for quite some time now. But, living in Canada, shipping is a pain from the USA, and many vendors charge crazy prices to ship here, if they will even do at all.

A little while ago, hornetxjx posted up that he had a set of black headlights available after he had completed his awesome retrofit.

We PM'd back and forth, and agreed on a price, not knowing the crazy shipping prices that were to come. He tried to get a shipping quote for it all for me, but was met by a few road blocks - size, cost, etc. As I have connections with UPS and Purolator, I told him that I will try and see what I can get find. He replied with an offer that if I arrange for the shipping, he would let me have the headlights as a gift. :Wow1: :biggrin: I was able to use my UPS contact, and finally get shipping labels emailed to him late last week and he sent them out to me.

Fast forward to today, and I now have a set of black housing headlights, courtesy of hornetxjx!

My plan for them is to open them up and retrofit some HIDs and projectors in to them, similar to what Hemi Mag did HERE and then install them after I install the Mopar fog light kit.

I'm going to be in the states in a couple months, so I plan on buying all the other necessary items at that time to save on the shipping and taxes, since I'll be there for a while, and will have a nice shopping exemption for bringing stuff back tax free. :biggrin:

So there won't be any action on these for a little bit, but I just wanted to give hornetxjx a huge thank you since they are here now!!

Step 1 in my headlight retrofit complete :)

PT Driver
Nicely done, will be interesting to see the final product, I do wonder how hard it would be to retrofit the projectors from a T&C into those headlights.

Reactions: UN4GTBL

Super Moderator
Lucky you. Enjoy. :thumb:
Great to have hornetxjx on the form.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice! Have fun with the project. Waiting for the results!
Can't wait!

The only thing that scares me is opening these up.

Nicely done, will be interesting to see the final product, I do wonder how hard it would be to retrofit the projectors from a T&C into those headlights.
I'm going to use the same aftermarket projector that Hemi Mag used for his retro fit, as it's super easy to install into the headlight housing.

Lucky you. Enjoy. :thumb:
Great to have hornetxjx on the form.
Thanks!

Agreed!

Registered
a class act from hornetxjx indeed!

Registered
It was my pleasure UN4GTBL! They were here and kind of "in the way"!

I am finishing my retrofit type-up as I finish this! Be on the lookout!

Registered
I want to know how easy they are to open too... I ordered a broken headlight just to practice on, but I am somewhat scarred, my motorcycle headlight had hidden, inaccessible screws that held the lens on that you couldn't see until they ripped out.

Registered
UN4GTBL if you haven't already, make your way to TRS, they are doing their Black Friday sale.

I picked up 2 more sets of D2S 3.0s and a set of H1s for a motorcycle retro.

Look in the bargain bin there as well, They have MDX shrouds they are giving away, they look like they'd sit well in the DGC light and fill the bottom in more.

AC

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UN4GTBL if you haven't already, make your way to TRS, they are doing their Black Friday sale.

I picked up 2 more sets of D2S 3.0s and a set of H1s for a motorcycle retro.

Look in the bargain bin there as well, They have MDX shrouds they are giving away, they look like they'd sit well in the DGC light and fill the bottom in more.

AC
Thanks, yeah I got their email. I was going to wait until February to order everything and save on the shipping (as I'll be in the USA, so free shipping), but their current sale offers savings that are even better than the shipping savings (more than double actually). Probably going to order this weekend after I confirm what other odds and ends I need.

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't forget the H11 highbeam splitter

AC
Yup!

Thinking about getting the fog light splitters too, for when I install the Mopar fogs

Did you need a rubber boot for the back of the headlight to seal it up, or was it ok?

Registered
Let me check the wife's van and see if the fogs stay on with the highs. If you need the dealer to use a starscan to add the fogs, you can always get them to set the fogs to stay on with the highs.

AC

Super Moderator
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
*Teaser/Update*

I realized that I'm missing a key piece to my puzzle. As I don't want to cut any factory wires, or use any T-taps, I went on a search for an H13 extension cable today for the front turn signals. (I will be wiring in the LED strips to these extension cables, instead of the factory harness) The guy at PartSource was more clueless than a football player at a star wars convention (despite having one H13 plug there for an unknown price), Canadian Tire didn't have anything at all, and Napa Auto Parts was closed. So I looked on ebay and amazon, and got a pair of them for $6 shipped, but they won't be here until the end of the month :/ Oh well, I guess it's kind of a good thing though, as it will allow me to just tinker with these, instead of potentially rushing through the build.

I did manage to get the LED strips mounted on the headlights, although I had to re-attach one spot (hence the tape on the one headlight) I'll probably attack the reflector housings with the dremel tomorrow to get the projectors to fit, and then I can just wait on the extensions to arrive. Also, I can confirm that the black housing headlights are painted black inside, as I have a couple spots where my masking tape peeled off the paint, but that's not a big deal to touch up. So no worries about the black plastic fading from sun exposure.

Anyways, on to the PICTURES!!!

My idea with these LED tubes is to imitate the new Charger look:

We'll see how it works out lol.

Registered
*Teaser/Update*

I realized that I'm missing a key piece to my puzzle. As I don't want to cut any factory wires, or use any T-taps, I went on a search for an H13 extension cable today for the front turn signals. (I will be wiring in the LED strips to these extension cables, instead of the factory harness) The guy at PartSource was more clueless than a football player at a star wars convention (despite having one H13 plug there for an unknown price), Canadian Tire didn't have anything at all, and Napa Auto Parts was closed. So I looked on ebay and amazon, and got a pair of them for $6 shipped, but they won't be here until the end of the month :/ Oh well, I guess it's kind of a good thing though, as it will allow me to just tinker with these, instead of potentially rushing through the build.

I did manage to get the LED strips mounted on the headlights, although I had to re-attach one spot (hence the tape on the one headlight) I'll probably attack the reflector housings with the dremel tomorrow to get the projectors to fit, and then I can just wait on the extensions to arrive. Also, I can confirm that the black housing headlights are painted black inside, as I have a couple spots where my masking tape peeled off the paint, but that's not a big deal to touch up. So no worries about the black plastic fading from sun exposure.

Very nice! Will be watching your progress. Thanks. :thumb:

Registered
*Teaser/Update*

So the excitement begins. Can't wait for the final outcome.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.