The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank you for this forum and the help it has given me in the past....I have searched the forum and cannot locate any posts describing this issue.....so here goes nothing...
2004 T&C Limited - 3.8L - Traction Control - 220,000 Miles

This weekend was driving and the van started vibrating/pulsing as if the abs kicked in, but I was not pressing the brake pedal. Pulled off the to the side of the road - no visible damage wheels securely attached - tires ok. Drove home and it happened again. When I got home the right front wheel was much hotter than the others so know the brakes on that wheel were activating - and felt like abs engaging. Did a little checking - so I pulled the abs module fuse - and no more issue - except of course that I do not have abs/traction control and the brake and abs lights showing on the dashboard.

Wanted thoughts on potential resolution? I have removed the abs control module (attached to the abs pump) and will be getting a used replacement (fingers crossed). Any other thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Brian

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
Check the front tone rings (course, square-toothed gears) on the front axle stubs/CV joints to see that they are clean and not cracked/loose on the shaft. It may be possible one is cracked or filled in with rust, making the system think one wheel is way faster/slower than the other and applying the brake to the opposite wheel.

Reactions: FabricGATOR

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Did you get an ABS light when it was acting up or only after you disabled the system.

I'm sure you know that without the ABS / traction control that everything works just like an old Dodge van before they even had wheel speed sensors. Depending on your driving style and/or road conditions (and season) ABS / traction may nearly never engage normally.

Another thought and that is why I asked when reading the RoadRipper, was if the sensor was throwing a code...

The illustrious Mr. Stockman is spot on about making sure that the cause really is NOT a grabbing caliper. Lets say an old caliper or hose is dragging that hot wheel, the ABS system working properly may sense that dragging wheel as slower and apply the ABS to the other wheels.... right?

Wheeling out Atwell's parts cannon and lobing costly parts at some symptoms can get expensive , fast.

Do like Marvin said and let us know what is going on.
AND, please, please, please, always return and tell us how you fix your minivan so that this forum is complete and useful for all eternity.

Cheers!

·
3rd gen > all others
4,572 Posts
I just had both of my front calipers start seizing/dragging at different times - one last fall, and the other this spring. Neither time did it do anything to affect the ABS. I don't have traction control because of the AWD. Otherwise, same van as the OP, a 2004 T&C Limited 3.8L awd. That would rule out a bad caliper causing the problem.

What about a loose wheel sensor? I had one pivot away from the tone ring on my 2000 T&C (with 4th gen front brakes/suspension) and caused the ABS to kick in while simply slowing down. It was a 3rd gen sensor fitted to a 4th gen knuckle so there are mounting differences that allowed it to pivot away from the tone wheel when it got lodged full of snow one day. Repositioned the sensor and tightened the 10mm retaining bolt and it hasn't happened again.

Reactions: FabricGATOR

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
....always return and tell us how you fix your minivan so that this forum is complete and useful for all eternity.
for the next inhabitants of this planet👽

·
Registered
973 Posts
Could also be a failing/binding wheel bearing causing the traction control to kick in. Any wheel bearing noises (snap, crackle, pop) when turning and/or maneuvering in parking lots... or obvious noise when cornering?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
To All,
Update.....Fixed....
Never had an abs light, however due to the pulsing feel thought the abs was activating prematurely. I had pulled the abs fuse and disconnected the abs control module - when drove again all seemed fine...however that was misleading as the problem appeared again after 30 min drive around town even with all of the abs still disconnected. It was the right front caliper locking up. Did check the temp and the RF caliper was 50 degrees hotter than the LF.

I ended up replacing the calipers, rotors, and hoses on all four wheels (only $400 - AC Delco parts) and flushed the brake fluid. I reconnected the abs module...and seems to be working fine...no dash lights and a very smooth ride with firm brake pedal feel.

Thanks again to all the replies and suggestions - would not have thought the caliper was locking up without the input here and some additional research on my part due to the comments here. Thanks again - will update if the problem reappears.

Sincerely,
Brian
2004 T&C Limited, 226,000 miles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts