The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 GC, the driver of which complains that the brake pedal is squishy and later the brake pedal is hard. Additionally, during normal braking, on dry pavement, the ABS unit fires up.

The vehicle has a new master cylinder, and I replaced front pads and rotors 2 months ago, prior to these complaints. I noticed nothing abnormal during post-repair vehicle test drive.

Two nights ago, the brakes were bled again (boy was it hot and sticky that night, and the mosquitoes should have given me a red cross donors card). The vehicle was test driven, and behaved normally.

Yesterday, there was a complaint of ABS going off almost every stop, but not every stop.

My working hypothesis is that one or more sensors for ABS are failing, and that is the cause of the frequent ABS activations. Additionally, I have not verified that the vacuum booser valve is free and clear. Since they are fairly inexpensive, I may simply replace.

How does one identify which ABS sensor may not be functioning right?

Additionally, the shop manual suggests it is impossible to bleed ABS without a DRB unit. Is that the case, or are there some practical workarounds.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
You need the DRB unit to scan the ABS sensors and to bleed the ABS unit.

Although usually a bad wheel sensor will cause the ABS system to shut down as it was designed to do that.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't have a DRB. I may disable the ABS (pull the fuse) so that I can verify everything else is working.

Are there any workarounds for not having a DRB? Are there any affordable DRBs?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts