The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8, about 155k miles. I've noticed this winter that it defrosts very poorly. I've had the van about a year, and prior to that my dad owned it for a couple years. I had the AC system recharged last summer while on vacation as it was a little low, at a reputable dealer. Beyond that, neither I nor my father had any issues with the AC system.

Regardless, the clutch is not engaging no matter what I do with the climate controls. This is in cold weather, for defrosting purposes.

I know there is no fuse for the AC clutch. I see no evidence of freon or oil leakage anywhere.

Where's the best place/way to start troubleshooting this?

Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
24,378 Posts
Compressor won't kick in if refrigerant is low. Get a test kit and check the pressure "static" and when "running".

Static pressure should be around 90 psi, I believe. Operating pressure should be within blue zone on gauge.

Kit: RED TEK A/C Refrigerant Recharge Kit | Canadian Tire
Includes gauge kit plus 12a refrigerant, the new environmentally friendly kid on the block

Basic Gauge set: Hooks to low pressure side of system. Cap on system's port should say L. In any event that is the only port that it fits. High pressure port is a different size.

Cold weather leaks can occur in the refrigeration system. Some cans of refrigerants have sealant in them.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The rear evaporator is a common leak point... if you have rear A/C. I also suspect your refrigerant is low.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 2007 had the rear leak problem actually.

But I looked again a bit ago in the bright daylight and realized that one of the lines near the compressor appears to be the issue. I read elsewhere on here (or maybe it was a similar Dodge forum) that the high pressure discharge line was a common failure point. That line is definitely covered/coated in an oily substance of some sort. I've noticed it before but didn't think much of it until I read that earlier today. I've wiped it off in the past and noticed it returns.

And the static pressure is a big fat zero. So there has to be a significant leak somewhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts