The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been really hot these past few days. I think it's because of the heat that I noticed this issue. My van's AC does not get cold at idle or when moving at city speeds. The AC gets cold on the highway. Also, the van will get slightly past the halfway mark in stop and go traffic on the highway. Using my scanner, I saw the coolant temp was 227 degrees fahrenheit. After I started moving at a good speed, the temp came down.

The AC system does not leak and the pressures are good. The cooling system does not leak and the coolant is at the proper level in the radiator and the reservoir. The radiator fan turns on when the AC is on (not sure if the fan cycles). The condenser is not particularly dirty but I will use a hose to clean it either way.

I've seen videos and read threads about this issue. Basically, people narrow it down to either the fan relay or the fan resistor. I want to know how I can test these components, I don't want to throw parts at it. If it could be another issue, please let me know. Also, I took out the resistor to inspect it visually. It's not very cracked (like in some of the videos), maybe one or two small chips.

·
Registered
440 Posts
With the vehicle parked in the heat, idling, the fan should first come on low speed and you should hear it. With ac on, over time the fans should go to a high speed. Sit and listen to it, you should hear it go to high speed. The sound is very noticeable. For comparison there should be youtubes where you can hear the fan on high speed. Sit outside the car with the hood up.

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s the thing, Elvis. It seems like the fan isn’t coming onto high speed. I know some cars have a very distinct high speed fan. It sounds like the car is about to take off. Don’t remember hearing a similar noise on this van. Either way I’ll take a listen and see if the high speed kicks in.

This may or may not be related. Yesterday I was idling with the ac on and the car fully warmed up. The idle was sitting at around 900-950 whereas it usually sits at 600-650.

·
Registered
538 RWHP, LS motor, RX7 body
584 Posts
Couple of forums for some poss clues:

·
Registered
440 Posts
You could try this, at your own risk.

With engine hot and ac on and fan running at speed not considered high enough........disconnect the resistor/relay [big round thingy on back of rad housing] and bridge the the two wires of the connector with a jumper wire. Does the fan speed up? Jumper wire should be big..it's gonna get hot.

I doubt this could screw things up but there could be some risk associated with this procedure.

·
Super Moderator
30,185 Posts
Sounds like a dirty condenser? Any dusty roads, hay fields or swarms of insects recently?

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did visit Canada recently and the area I was in was quite dusty (you just reminded me to check my air filter too). I looked at the condenser and it doesn't look very dirty. The only noticeable thing I saw was a very small leaf on the condenser. I will clean out the condenser and give an update.

On another note, I ordered the cooling fan resistor and it should be here tomorrow. Looks like a really quick and simple replacement so I hope it fixes my problem.

·
Registered
2006 Caravan 2.4 117K miles
39 Posts
While you're in it, it's worth it to check and clean all connectors/contacts related to the system. Even on a clean-looking van, a lot of corrosion can set in on the electronics. The TIPM on the 5th Gen gets badly corroded connectors just like the 4th Gen's IPM, and is a source for many of this van's "demons." The corrosion can be removed easily with something like CRC QD electronics spray. The radiator fan connectors themselves-Spray them out. Coolant temp sensor connector-Spray it. This will help eliminate electrical faults (present and future) due to poor connection.

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While you're in it, it's worth it to check and clean all connectors/contacts related to the system. Even on a clean-looking van, a lot of corrosion can set in on the electronics. The TIPM on the 5th Gen gets badly corroded connectors just like the 4th Gen's IPM, and is a source for many of this van's "demons." The corrosion can be removed easily with something like CRC QD electronics spray. The radiator fan connectors themselves-Spray them out. Coolant temp sensor connector-Spray it. This will help eliminate electrical faults (present and future) due to poor connection.
Thank you for the recommendation. I have some of that electronics spray cleaner so I will use it on the connectors you mentioned.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts