The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, in 20+ years of driving, I was in my first car accident Friday evening and it was in a Town & Country. Thankfully, it wasn't MY T&C. Mine was at home tucked away in the garage!

My wife and I went out to a Valentine's Dinner with two other couples. We all live in the same neighborhood. One of the couples that lives behind us drove their 2011 T&C. All was going good and we were headed downtown where we had dinner reservations. Traffic was pretty heavy and only moving around 40mph. I was in the front passenger seat and my friend was driving. Suddenly traffic STOPS and I remember saying "THEY'RE STOPPING" right before BAM we hit a Trailblazer followed by WHAM we get hit in the rear by a Sonata. The rear hit was harder than the front. We were in the left lane with a median wall to the left and traffic on the right so he had nowhere to go.

Everyone was a little banged up and sore at dinner but thankfully that's all the people damage we had. I was wearing my seatbelt so only my neck was a little sore from the second hit. My wife was in the rear seat and not wearing her belt so she hit the seat in front of her then backwards with the second hit. I chewed her ass for not being belted. None of the 4 people in the rear were wearing their belts.

The van totally lost power, everything shut down. He was able to open the driver's door but the passenger door would only open about 4" before binding with the front fender. Power came back on after a minute or so but the van wouldn't run and it was leaking coolant.

The front end is pretty bad and the rear damage is mostly hatch and the bumper.

The Trailblazer did have a single mark on it!! We turned to the left just enough that our van hit the Trailblazer receiver hitch dead on. I was amazed. I was telling my wife that's why I always leave my big drawbar installed on my Trailblazer because it would take the first hit.

I took some pics at the scene and at the body shop yesterday. I'm going to blur out the plate then I'll post them.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some pics:

At the scene-

Yesterday:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well, in 20+ years of driving, I was in my first car accident Friday evening and it was in a Town & Country.
That sucks, but it does sound like there are no permanent injuries. I also keep the hitch ball attached to our T&C receiver. If we get rear ended, it will help. I did get rear ended once about 30 years ago. The back of my car - undamaged except for a small scratch in the bumper rubber trim. The front of the other car (Oldsmobile? not sure now, it's been a while, definitely GM) - wrecked. Lights broken, grille smashed, leaking coolant. I stopped for a red light, he didn't.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm glad everyone was ok. Hopefully the van repair doesn't take too long.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the important thing is everyone walked away.

I had a similar thing happen back in 2002. I had a brand new 2002 truck and I was rear ended when traffic came to a sudden stop on a 3 lane expressway. I was able to stop but an elderly man driving an early 80's Chrysler New Yorker plowed into me and pushed me into the car in front of me. Amazingly, my truck didn't have a scratch on it. He hit my hitch drawbar dead on and put a huge dent in his big heavy chrome bumper. The car in front of me had painted bumpers that flexed and popped out on the sides.

I'm betting the van is totaled. It's a 2011 with 56k miles and a mid trim level so it was only maybe worth $16-$18k to begin with. I looked under the hood at the scene and the upper rad mount was pushed back, almost touching the engine cover.

My friend is hoping it's totaled because the van has been having weird electrical gremlins lately. The horn stopped working (at the wheel) but the other day it started blasting for no reason while his wife was driving it. LOL Also, the power doors, rear hatch and passenger window have all been acting up.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I'm betting the van is totaled.
I wouldn't be at all upset if it happened to our '08 T&C, providing nobody was injured. But I don't know what I would buy. The current T&C has the horrible 6 speed. Odyssey is ugly, transmission still unreliable? Sienna, maybe, if the price was right, but judging by the weekly Toyota recalls, their quality has dipped. Maybe look at the 3 row seating crossovers.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I'm betting its book value is towards the top of your estimated value based on what they cost around here a month ago when I got mine. Did the airbags deploy? If not, it might not be totalled.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't be at all upset if it happened to our '08 T&C, providing nobody was injured. But I don't know what I would buy. The current T&C has the horrible 6 speed. Odyssey is ugly, transmission still unreliable? Sienna, maybe, if the price was right, but judging by the weekly Toyota recalls, their quality has dipped. Maybe look at the 3 row seating crossovers.
I don't blame you if you've had a lot of problems.

I'm betting its book value is towards the top of your estimated value based on what they cost around here a month ago when I got mine. Did the airbags deploy? If not, it might not be totalled.
No airbags deployed thankfully!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Talked to my friend earlier. He said the parts cost was already up to $4400 with just what they could see. He told me that amazingly the hatch opened and closed on it without a problem when he was getting some belongings out.

·
5000 Club
5,680 Posts
Why anyone doesn't wear a seat belt these days is baffling. When I was a kid, a friend of my dads was an insurance investigator for State Farm. I saw numerous pictures of grizzly accident scenes and learned early on the value of wearing a seat belt. I don't roll an inch until everyone is buckled up, which brings up a story. Mom-in-law, sitting in the back, refused to buckle up. We sat there 15 minutes till she did. She now buckles up right away.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm the same way when I'm driving MY vehicle.

·
20 year old enthusiast
10,108 Posts
Luckily no one got hurt!

Depending on the severity of the damage, it might or might not be totaled.Further investigation will determine that. If the airbags did go off it would surely be totaled.
Glad to hear no one got hurt though...situations could have been worse, but luckily it wasn't. Give us an update on what the shop says.

·
Super Moderator
4,773 Posts
Glad no one was hurt.
I'm so use to wearing my belt that I catch myself putting it on when I'm just moving cars around in my own driveway...:nut:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Glad to hear no one was seriously hurt!

Similar thing happened to my wife many years ago. An SUV bumped her into the car in front of her. SUV bailed the scene, police were called, reports written. No real damage, no injuries or tickets. Almost 3yrs later car #1 sued us for an insane amount of money claiming neck/back injury. After years of battling it and ultimately a trial, they got the full liability amount of our policy. Effing NY State and shady Attorneys... They're only good when they're on your side. LOL.

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
I hope no one turns out to be hurt more than a couple of aches and pains. Long term injuries suck.
It is going to be iffy on the totaling of it. If there is engine damage and frame damage, that may do it.
On our '11, it hit above the bumper and took out the front frame rails, shattered the battery, and destroyed the intake manifold and front valve cover. We also had air bags deploy. The frame had so visible tweak in ours. It had around $20,000 in damage and was totaled.

·
Super Moderator
6,204 Posts
That sucks!

Thankfully no serious injuries seem to be there - yet. The lack of seatbelts is startling, especially with 6 adults in the van. I had an issue with a friend just after I started driving and he would never do up his belt. Then one day, when there were no other cars around, I slammed on the brakes. He flew forwards into the seat in front of him. He buckles up every time now. :)

I too catch myself buckling up just to pull my car out of the garage.

For your friends, it might be best to have it totaled, as long as they aren't too badly messed over by the situation, especially if they were starting to have issues with it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Could possibly be totaled.

My 11 Touring L totaled with just front end damage in December. 14K worth a damage. No frame damage listed in the CCC report either.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Glad everyone is ok .

pic#1 looks like its dragging someone behind the van.

From what i understand if the draw bar sticks out more that 2 inches from bumper it's not supposed to be left on.

Rule of thumb in traffic when crawling along or stopped leave enough room to see the rear tires of the car in front of you ...if someone hits you in the rear you shouldn't hit the guy in front.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts