The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good to hear everyone was OK from the crash. FWIW- I always make sure my rear passengers are buckled before I start driving (my ride, my rules- even for adults). Not just following the law, by mainly for safety. Not only rear passengers but me and front passenger too. In a higher speed impact unbelted passengers can become flying objects causing serious or fatal injuries to passengers in front.

Good the van was totaled. About 3-4yrs ago I got hit in my 300M & ins co went back & forth but finally fixed it with my consent. BAD mistake. Despite NO frame damage & repairs done at dealership shop, car never was the same. And trade in value was hurt ~50%- despite car appearing to be mint condition in & out. Hope I never get in another accident that bad, but if I do I would sure lean towards totaling the vehicle (unless it had sentimental or collectors' value).

Agree 100% with being careful about driving with unused hitches/balls/etc. My wife was rear-ended (minor crash) on snowy road here in Midwest & responding officer inspected our car for a hitch ball. We had no hitch, so I asked why. He said that the vehicle hitting another from the rear is typically at fault, but that a "large hitch" can be considered in determining "fault". BTW- Official accident report form I received later did have check box "No" for rear hitch on wife's car.
Apparently there are indeed laws about such things in many areas, inc parts of Canada-
http://forums.iboats.com/trailers-towing/new-laws-2012-a-554733.html

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
Agree 100% with being careful about driving with unused hitches/balls/etc. My wife was rear-ended (minor crash) on snowy road here in Midwest & responding officer inspected our car for a hitch ball. We had no hitch, so I asked why. He said that the vehicle hitting another from the rear is typically at fault, but that a "large hitch" can be considered in determining "fault". BTW- Official accident report form I received later did have check box "No" for rear hitch on wife's car.
Apparently there are indeed laws about such things in many areas, inc parts of Canada-
http://forums.iboats.com/trailers-towing/new-laws-2012-a-554733.html
Personally, I think it's stupid that a hitch would be illegal. Typical Government thinking, we couldn't let one vehicle have the advantage over another now could we! :mad: I did some searching and of course, the great state of Illinois has the "strictest laws in country" regarding ball mounts. That just adds to my contempt for the State of IL!

I'm keeping my balls in place. :)

·
Woody Status
512 Posts
ah, I think your missing an SDMR QB4000 frame straightening machine ($14,000), and a Hunter Hawkeye Elite 4 wheel alignment machine ($15,000).....THEN it would look like new! (as long as Harbor Freight sold paint booths as well!)
Damage on my vehicle was cosmetic, it was a tall truck at low speed that hit me. Completely missed the bumper, no frame damage.

81 - 83 of 83 Posts