The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Voted most useless member
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.lxforums.com/board/showt...abricating-LED-lit-plexiglass-door-lock-pulls

basically, this could be done with just some curtain rods and a drill.

But on 3rd gen models, they look like this:

And the trim looks like this:

4th gen:

On the 3rd gen it is pretty easy to get to the power sources that you want in order to add illumination, or you can run your custom wires in, but this is the best place to tap into the lighted circuit.

On the 4th gen, this would be pretty easy to do:

·
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

Now what I think would be cool is some custom laser etched like they do in glass paper weights that they give away to office workers for being on time that year.. They have been making these since the 80's as far as I know.

It would be neat to give the image a real 3d pop.

The good thing is that on the 3rd gen, we have more space to play with, but we don't really have much out there that is a drop in fit. But, last time I heard, wood works really well to carve things out of.

And this RV is just cool

Anyway, as far as solid materials for the door pulls, I was thinking about Bamboo since it is plentiful, and would make a great natural material for things like door pulls, however, it has to be laminated.

·
3rd gen > all others
3,404 Posts
Actually for the 3rd gens, we might be able to use pieces of thick plexiglass since the lock pull is rectangular. It would even be possible to use an LED on each side of the lock rod, on the same lock pull! Different colors even, wired so you can switch the colors on a whim!

Reactions: imickey503

·
1,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plexi glass is cool, but we can do better.

My problem with Acrylic, is that the material does not hold up well to scratches. I don't think this will be a problem with the door lock pins so that's one bit of good news.

Now, as far as using Acrylic, this would be a very good option:

The bubble effect will look really neat with the LED lighting.

This also would look nice:

To keep costs down, I was thinking about using Dominoes:

So far the only car that I know that uses similar door pins is a Vauxhall.

Now the stock door pins are pretty easy to modify, As far as a cheap way of modding these, I thought about drilling the stock door pins, and injecting Hot glue inside channels so that they would light up where I drill the holes. This is super easy, and I broke one while in the process while being way to ruff while drilling and using the wrong size bit.

I made a proof of concept, but they still looked Dorky, and just plain silly.

I did have some luck drilling the pin, and running wires to install a SMD led inside, but DANG that is allot of work for just a little illumination on the underside of the pin. Looked great like it was stock from the factory that way.

The only way to do this is with LOTS of patience. And it takes almost an hour to get it all right, and you are working with some really small drill bits.

Anyway, I should have some picks up of some that I made. I will try to pick some extra's from the bone yard and see if I can make a few to give away on the forum. They guys at Pick and pull are super cool and will let me get a few handfuls of them for a good price.

I just got a new dermal tool, been using the HECK out of it.

I actually prefer the super small harbor freight one. It is so easy to work with. The only problem is that they heat up fast, and tend to die due to the motor being about the same type they use for the door latch motors in the sliding doors.

Happy modding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts