The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As described in this thread, I successfully upgraded to a from a basic 2010 RES to a 2012 RHR in my 2010 T&C last year, and I'm now thinking about backup cameras.

The factory ParkView backup camera system is part of the liftgate handle. The camera itself for 2010 is (now) p/n 05026338AB and the entire liftgate handle assembly for 2010 is p/n 68028046AA (not exactly cheap either way, but used/eBay is always an option).

Questions for anyone who knows and/or who's done something this before:

• Is there a chance that I'm already pre-wired with the required plugs/connectors/wires all the way to the head unit, making this a simple plug and play affair with the 'right' camera? I can certainly find out for myself, but perhaps I can benefit from someone else's experience.

• What exactly is the 'right' camera? I'm sure they got better over the years, but at what point do physical or other compatibility issues become a concern for newer cameras (e.g. low speed vs. high sped CANBUS)? How new can I reasonably go? In a vacuum without advice, I would be nervous trying anything much past 2015.

• Are there preferred/confirmed aftermarket cameras that (more or less) fit in the factory hole?

• I know a Lockpick is required for 'use the backup camera while driving down the road' and any additional cameras. I thought it was required for adding any aftermarket backup camera, but the guy in this youtube video bypassed his built-in, non-functioning 2010 ParkView camera with an el cheap aftermarket license plate frame camera without a Lockpick, which challenged my assumptions. But, he already had the factory ParkView camera system, whereas I do not. Does that make a difference? Honestly, I'd rather not go down the Lockpick road if I don't have to ($$$).

Thanks.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
661 Posts
For the camera to work, all you have to do is run the wires for the camera to the back of the radio. You will notice the radio has 3 plugs on the back, I assume your van only used one of those pugs, since it had the base radio.

You will need a connector that plugs into the radio, called C3. It's the other big connector there. You also have the center connector (which you don't need) and that was used for U-connect.

The C3 plug is used for VES (the overhead screen(s) ) and also the camera. The camera should have 2 wires coming from it, these go to in the radio C3 connector as:

Camera Signal Grey/Orange (this is pin #3)
Camera Return Crey/Light Blue (this is pin #4)

It should be a pretty easy addition, I do not believe you need programming but I have not done this myself. I assume you don't need programming because the vehicle the head unit came from had a backup camera, so it should work. When I upgraded to my REN radio from the base, I got a code "lost communication with audio amplifier". I ended up adding the premium infinity 10 speaker system and actually didn't need programming for it to work as it should. The backup camera should be the same.

At worst, you can go to Dodge or Chrysler and ask them to add the sales code to your vehicle config. They will charge less then a half hour of labor for it. Or, you could get an OBD II adapter, and a laptop which you buy appcar (for 50$) and you can activate as many features as you'd like on your van. It's great for diagnostics and reads every code in the vehicle, it can do a lot.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts