The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding EVIC to my DGC 2013 SE. So far, I was able to remove the dash cover without breaking too much plastic clip (2 on one air vent trim and that's it hopefully)

I finally found where the compass module needed to be installed on top of the dash, behind the steering wheel. I needed to add 2 metal square retainers in the squares holes to be able to screw the screws where the module goes. I took them from where the headlight switch cover is installed so I can replace them easily when l go to the auto part store to get them.

I can't find the wire to plug it but from what I read, it is supposed to be nearby, taped on the harness, with the auto-headlight sun detector module plug (and yes I am also adding the auto headlights at the same time) . As much as I try, I don't know where to look. Can someone point me in the right right direction or provide picture as I'm stuck with my van half disassembled.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok so I found the compass moduleconnector. I had to remove the airbag in the footwell to be able to see it and even then, it was not easy. It is taped on the harness behind the Plastic air ducks that are behind the radio. Now I have still to find the connection for the sun sensor.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Ok so I found the compass module connector. I had to remove the airbag in the driver's footwell to be able to see it and even then, it was not easy. It is taped on the harness behind the Plastic air ducks that are behind the radio. Now I have still to find the connection for the light sensor

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Found the connector for the light sensor. It was near the compass module connector but more on the passenger side. The connector itself was not on the harness directly. It was stuck behind the middle of the 2 air vent under the radio.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Bud, I just posted a thread asking about this. It seems like a lot of work. I just missed getting a CG Crew with low milage which has the EVIC already.

I am now looking at getting a GC so might as well look for one that has it. I am from Canada too lol. There is quite a few in Quebec, but prices high all around including Ontario.

Did you get it all working?

Cheers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The first thing ito know is that parts are very cheap for these vans compared to other cars. They made millions of them and there is a lot of good used parts in junkyards. It is very easy to upgrade them too!

I got most of it working and it is still a work in progress. My van is my second car and used as the "fun" roadtrip car. There is no rush in the work I'm doing to it.

To do the EVIC swap, what is required is not that hard once you know where everything is. The hardest is to remove the dash cover. Youtubes videos are not good regarding to that and I found better way to do it without breaking all small parts. The reason why all the work is not done is mainly missing parts and the "while I'm here" factor as it still take a while to remove the dash cover. What started as an EVIC swap is now almost a "this van is getting converted to a higher end trim".

So far, I upgraded:
  • the plastic steering wheel for the leather one
  • the base the shifter knob for the leather one
  • the base the keypad on the steering for EVIC
  • added the magnetic compass (still cannot display it on EVIC, needs to be troubleshooted)
  • Changed the basic RES radio to an android auto compatible unit with steering wheel controls module (that generated error codes when I scanned it in both the BCM and CCM, I hate codes but I have to live with them as that they can't communicate with the missing mopar radio. If someone know how to remove that, I'm interrested) Edit: I resolved it! You need to tell the BCM using AlphaObd that "Network:Radio is "not set"
  • changed the steel wheels for OEM alloy wheels
  • Added automatic headlight
  • changed the instrument cluster for EVIC and reprogrammed it to the correct mileage
  • changed the trims on the dash for the black ones with lower chrome lining.
  • Upgrade the base speaker system from 4 to 6 speakers (harness allready there) - (Done)
  • Added the chrysler Town and Country analog clock ( The harness is allready there!)
  • Added power inverter (harness allready there but missing the nuts to secure it!. Temporarilysecured with a ziptie)
  • Installed 3rd party remote start (the one where you can still use your OEM key: by locking 3x, it starts the car.)
  • changed shock absorbers for Saches non-nivomat
  • changed brakes, front and back
  • Replaced regular mirror with auto-dimming mirror

Things in the pipeline:
  • Edit add: Swap climate control for automatic climate control (Waiting for my mind to stop procrastinating)
  • Swap the tailgate for one without rust (Waiting to go on a trip in Southern USA this winter to grab one in a junkyard)
  • I might swap the seats If I find leather ones in a junkyard.
  • Any other opportunities that I might find

The things I know I won't upgrade are the automatic doors and tailgate (more systems that are known to fail), auto climate control (required different harness from what read) Edit: Because of Michalb, I am changing this also as it is not as difficult as I thought and rotating hubcaps because why did these things ever were installed on a minivan! (or any car for that matter)

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
added the magnetic compass (still cannot display it on EVIC, needs to be troubleshooted)
You will have to activate the function with programming (alfaOBD or apcarFCA). You need to find compass module present and change the value to "set" or "true" and only then will it display the compass on the cluster. Auto headlamps should also need programming before they will work correctly.

Edit: You can retrofit manual climate control to auto easily on 2011+ vans took me 15 minutes, but you will need to re-pin the wires onto the auto climate connector and add 2 wires for the sun sensor. The manual controls small plug (i believe for the overhead controls) the pins has a tab on it that prevents it sliding into the auto controls connector, however using needle-nose pliers I bent the tab flat against the pin and they slid perfectly and locked into the auto controls connector. I use a pick for the job.

How did you change the mileage?

The analog clock connector will be taped off to the climate control wires, you'll find it if you remove the climate control panel from the dash. You got a great list of mods done to your van! I like that a lot of features can be retrofitted to lower end vans, which is exactly what I've done with my 2009 SE which was a base model but now is equivalent to a T&C limited. I took it to the next level though, I upgraded the entire wiring harness to that of a T&C limited including the 10 speaker amplified system, factory T&C HID's, blind spot/park assist, power fold 3'rd row seats, heated seats, and power sliding doors and power liftgate, plus a lot more including the rare EVIC for my generation.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About the Auto headlights, they seem to work without me doing anything. I can rescan to see what config is written on the module.

For the magnetic compass, do you know wich computer in the car controls that?

For the Mileage, I connected to the CCM and modified the data in the instrument cluster.

I have never tried AlphaOBD but I might give it a try. It would involve me buying a 6th car scanner/programmer though :(

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
If I remember correctly, I used my Thinkcar Thinktool scanner/programmer. It is a great unit. I have the FCAs special functions enabled on it.
I upgraded to EVIC but my evic was a US cluster, so it's in miles. I just want to change the computer settings to show mileage in kilometers instead of miles, and adjust it to reflect my actual mileage

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I upgraded to EVIC but my evic was a US cluster, so it's in miles. I just want to change the computer settings to show mileage in kilometers instead of miles, and adjust it to reflect my actual mileage
Can't you just change the units in the EVIC menu?
I can do that with mine. I cam also do it with that tool. (Actually tried both while exploring the functions)

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Also, if you still have your old instrument cluster in KM, you can probably swap the printed plastic sheet behind the lenses to get it in km if it is like the one on the 2011+
The issue isn't the actual board, it's pretty much identical. The issue is the digital display which shows miles. It also shows significantly higher mileage then my van
Mine is special, it was a US only option to have a 3 pod EVIC, and only available the 2009 model year. There was a T&C EVIC version but I didn't want it as it wasn't the 3 pod design I wanted to keep.
My EVIC is a dot matrix display opposed to a 888888 style display. I do have a spare board to replace in the future
Land vehicle Speedometer Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
So If I understand correctly, the "191479" is:
1- in miles
2- too high for the real amounts of miles of your van.

On my previous instrument cluster, I can ask my Thinktool unit to switch to US or Metric units and it would work. (That's how I had it switched as I didn't find any other way of doing it with the basic Instrument cluster).

Now there is many unknown factors:
1- Your instrument cluster was a US only variant, would they even provision for metric?
2- Would the option be available to display from my device?
3- When I rewrote the information in my Instrument cluster, I had to do it several times as it would not register correctly, always being a few km more then I would write with the tool. I ended up entering something like 164190 km in memory to attain a display of 164244 km that my van actually had. Otherwise it would display more km that I really had. I don't know how why it did that or if it is a way for Chrysler to know that the mileage was changed.

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
So If I understand correctly, the "191479" is:
1- in miles
2- too high for the real amounts of miles of your van.

On my previous instrument cluster, I can ask my Thinktool unit to switch to US or Metric units and it would work. (That's how I had it switched as I didn't find any other way of doing it with the basic Instrument cluster).

Now there is many unknown factors:
1- Your instrument cluster was a US only variant, would they even provision for metric?
2- Would the option be available to display from my device?
3- When I rewrote the information in my Instrument cluster, I had to do it several times as it would not register correctly, always being a few km more then I would write with the tool. I ended up entering something like 174190 km in memory to attain a display of 174244 km that my van actually had. Otherwise it would display more km that I really had. I don't know how why it did that or if it is a way for Chrysler to know that the mileage was changed.
Yeah my vehicle mileage was 190,000 kilometers and I already had someone try to convert it to kilometers. They failed to convert the units but changed the number to match mine, however it's in miles so it doesn't reflect my true mileage.

I got to see a bit of what they were doing, they were reading the files on the cluster and changing lines of code. The difference should be a country code, which will dictate the units of the trip distance computers and mileage. They tried to find the country code but weren't successful, if i could find a program that can extract raw code from the cluster when soldered onto the data lines (cluster disconnected from power), I could figure it out eventually comparing it to my original. If the change worked for your van, then it will work for mine as well.

The mileage number is tricky to get exact, I had the simplified version explained to me but basically each cluster mileage differs from the ECU by plus or minus 1k miles or something close to it. When trying to change the actual number, it will be either plus or minus about 100 miles.

Are you sure the unit change was for the mileage? Swapping units by pressing the cluster buttons will only change the average fuel consumption units, tire pressure, DTE, and temperature between US or metric, both alfa and appcar do the same thing when switching units. The mileage and trip distances cannot be changed with the button nor appcar/alfa.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The mileage number is tricky to get exact, I had the simplified version explained to me but basically each cluster mileage differs from the ECU by plus or minus 1k miles or something close to it. When trying to change the actual number, it will be either plus or minus about 100 miles.

Are you sure the unit change was for the mileage? Swapping units by pressing the cluster buttons will only change the average fuel consumption units, tire pressure, DTE, and temperature between US or metric, both alfa and appcar do the same thing when switching units. The mileage and trip distances cannot be changed with the button nor appcar/alfa.
So which one is true? The ECU or the cluster. My ECU is at 167XXX km while my cluster was much higher at 174XXX km. Would it be a good idea to match them?

About the Unit change, I didn't noticed if it changed the total mileage/km of the car. I was just interrested in having a mph display for while I was in the United States. I'm not using either of the software you are mentioning so I can't compare. Quick note however, there was 2 places to change the units that I recall. The first one was in the cluster settings and the other one was I the car general settings. I remember that I could also set the country code. I would need to test and let you know.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update on the unit change test.

On my 2011+ EVIC cluster, I can program either Metric or US units in 2 categories. One is in the vehicle general settings and the second one is in the cluster settings.

If I use the cluster settings, my speed is changed from km to miles.

If I use the vehicle general setting, then it changes both my speed AND total km to miles.

I don't know if it helps you with your 2009 EVIC cluster but it might work!

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
1,975 Posts
Update on the unit change test.

On my 2011+ EVIC cluster, I can program either Metric or US units in 2 categories. One is in the vehicle general settings and the second one is in the cluster settings.

If I use the cluster settings, my speed is changed from km to miles.

If I use the vehicle general setting, then it changes both my speed AND total km to miles.

I don't know if it helps you with your 2009 EVIC cluster but it might work!
Fantastic! So I can finally finish off that EVIC project!

Which Thinkcar did you use? Something like this? Thinkcar Amazon Or even better if you live close to Calgary

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's the one I'm using right now:
Think Tool Mini

Unfortunately, I'm near Montréal, Québec

Quite a long drive away, maybe we can meet somewhere in the middle at the border between Ontario and Manitoba :ROFLMAO:.

Still I would've really like to see your van and the mods you did to it. I like sleepers as in it is fully modded but doesn't look like it!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts