The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found similar model van with OEM roof rack at a local U-Pull-It. Note, my CV did not come with OEM rack.

It appears that the assembly is held on with a couple of machine screws front and back on each side. I'm wondering if its possible to trace and drill out the holes and install it onto my CV. Reason being I much prefer a mechanical attachment over having an add-on system like Yakima/Thule and also I much prefer being cheap.

Anyone heard of this being done?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
What does your van have in place where the nut plates would be? (the roof rack attachment points)

I would imagine that all vans have the attach points regardless if it rolled out of the factory with one or not.
I say this because the logistics of making all the variations of accessory combinations. For example, regardless of what options you have installed, the wire harness has all the connections already loomed through out the vehicle.

So, are there body filler trim bits where the roof rack would attach?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a rubber strip which appears to be glued to seam of the roof panel.

I tried pulling the strip and looking under, but since its glued down I stopped pulling at it until I at least have some sealant/caulking that I can use to reattach.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'd imagine that the trim is a shape profile that snaps into the groove, then there may be some sort of sealant or adhesive. Learn it at the 'you pull' yard. You will likely want the bits of that track that complete the front and rear of the installation.

Another idea is to remove the front door upper trim on the passenger side and see if you can slip your eyeball (or hand) up under the headliner to spot the attach points already existing into the roof. If you find them there and intact, you can then consider moving forward.

I just witnessed my friends 2016 GCV roof rack in the stow and go position. I'd like to have that rack instead of what mine came out with....

·
Registered
339 Posts
The rails on my 07 T&C are mounted inside of the plastic molding in your picture.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,211 Posts
I think they would be attached with what are known as "nut rivets". You basically drill a hole, insert the nut rivet and special tool, squeeze and the nut rivets itself to the sheet metal. Google it and you can probably find a kit in the correct size.

Hmm, makes me think that rivet nuts could be installed around the taillights to mount some homemade taillight guard/protectors for the offroad look. Maybe a roof mounted light rack over the front "cab" as well!

·
Registered
65 Posts
The roof rack is attached with rivnuts and allen head bolts. I removed a rack from a van in the junkyard but never got around to installing it. I found the instructions somewhere on line that shows how to install it. You need to place it on the roof according the measurements in the instructions. Mark the hole locations, drill and install the rivnuts and then just bolt the rack on.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have had success 'setting' rivnuts by using a bolt, nut, and a stack of well lubricated washers in lieu of getting the set tool.

Here is a cheap set, wonder if it would last to set a dozen or so...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts