The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Preparing to lend the GEN4 (2004) van to a friend for a long trip to help him move. The van did not come with the tire pressure monitoring system (TPMS). I was wondering if all that is required is to add sensors to the tires or would the BCM and/or WCM modules not include support for this feature? Anyone tried this? I see that the instrument cluster does have a TPMS light. Wouldn't be too expensive to get a set of (cheap ebay)sensors and have them mounted to see what happens but I thought I'd run this thru the forum first.

Recently had a slow leak due to a tire weight being improperly installed. Only noticed because the van started pulling slightly to the right. Yea I should check my pressures more often.

TIA

·
3rd gen > all others
4,563 Posts
I think you need the supporting electronics like the overhead EVIC display, and the BCM at least programmed for it. Seems like a lot of work for little to no benefit. I just try to park in a way that I always look at both sides of the van before getting in, so I'll see a flat/low tire before I take off.

The only time it came close to helping, was the night we bought our 2011 Sienna and I drove it through a flooded road - and ran over an open manhole! The manhole cover went flying to the side! Sharp BOOM! I pulled over once out of the water, got out and looked at the front wheel - it was still fine. Got back in and started driving, and had an immediate rumble. Then I finally saw the instrument panel light for the TPMS lit up. Got out again and sure enough, the front tire was now flat. So it didn't tell me anything I didn't already notice/know.

Happened again in Colorado last August, going through a McDonald's drive thru. Van felt sluggish pulling up to the window and leaving. We were pulling a small trailer, so didn't think much at first until I heard a rumble. Looked at the dash, and light was lit up again. Pulled into a parking lot, and driver side rear tire was flat. Looked like it ran over a large bolt, that poked a hole in the tread. Again, I noticed the van acting weird before I saw the light.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an air pressure gauge. Since I lend the van out frequently to family and friends I thought I'd see what people thought of this idea (on the first rainy day here in the Seattle area in about a month).

·
fix it if you can
5,748 Posts
FWIW, OE TPMS transceiver on late ('04+) 4th gen was part SKIM (sentry key immob, as was RKE) so if your van doesn't have FOBiKs you may as well forget about it.

The system is really only low tire pressure warning (unlike earlier system that could show actual pressure).

Don't buy aftermarket twist on valve systems, they're more likely to cause a leak...

If you don't trust the person to be able to check tire pressure, it's probably best not to let them drive your van

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FWIW, OE TPMS transceiver on late ('04+) 4th gen was part SKIM (sentry key immob, as was RKE) so if your van doesn't have FOBiKs you may as well forget about it.

The system is really only low tire pressure warning (unlike earlier system that could show actual pressure).

Don't buy aftermarket twist on valve systems, they're more likely to cause a leak...

If you don't trust the person to be able to check tire pressure, it's probably best not to let them drive your van
Thanks everyone for their replies/suggestions. My 04 van is an SXT so I do have FOBIKS. And an EVIC. But I'm probably going to put this project on the shelf for now at least until Spring. Mainly it's my kids borrowing the van.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts