The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I got a 1999 Plymouth Voyager miniivan, so far I have really been able to add a short RAM intake to it but recently Ive been wanting to add a Turbo to it becuase it is extremely slow at accelerating and it can become embarrassing when on the freeway and it takes about 12 seconds for it to get up to 65 mph...Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind of turbo I can add, and possibly where I can get one made.So if anyone can help I would greatly appreciate thanks!

·
Registered
913 Posts
It's been done to 2nd Gen vans with the 2.5 (google 'turbo caravan') - don't know of any T&C's being done though.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
They were available from the factory like that too.

·
Registered
913 Posts
With your van being a '99 the biggest problem you will have is the engine management system, you would have to alter the programming to dump more fuel in the cylinders.
You also need to lower the compression ratio to prevent the heads being blown off.
Another thing to consider is if the crank, big-end bearings and con-rods can take the extra load. Not to mention the sometimes flaky transmissions on these vans.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ohhh I see... so is there a place online in which I can buy the turbo kit, becuase I seriously doubt that they sell a turbo kit for this car what parts would you suggest?approximately about how much $$$?and gn300 what do you mean by,"Just drop in a srt neon engine! "?thanks!

·
Latent car nut
9,235 Posts
Ohhh I see... so is there a place online in which I can buy the turbo kit, becuase I seriously doubt that they sell a turbo kit for this car what parts would you suggest?approximately about how much $$$?and gn300 what do you mean by,"Just drop in a srt neon engine! "?thanks!
Before any of us can make any recommendations worth anything we'll need to know what version of the Voyager you have, which engine and which transmission.

·
Latent car nut
9,235 Posts
Which transmission, 3-Speed or 4-Speed?

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Living in California, you must remember that you will have to meet all emissions standards. It is easy to mod a pre 1996 car as they don't get tested (at least in Illinois anymore) but anything with OBDII has to be done 100% correctly to be able to actually drive your creation.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Does your dashboard show "PNRD3L" then it's a 4 speed, if yours shows "PRND2L" then it's a 3 speed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Look on your dashboard and take a look at the gear shifter letters.
If it says... then it's a....
PNRD3L= 4 Speed
PNRD2L= 3 Speed

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Now you need to check around for information on that specific engine being turbo'd. BANKS Turbos might have a kit, but make sure it includes the ECM (engine control module) for a turbo'd engine.
Here's some information to assist.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/24.html

Maybe you can get the parts you need at a Wrecking Yard (whole engine - ECM) ...... ?

·
Registered
225 Posts
I'm not sure why I'm gonna write this since you can't even know what transmission you have you are far from beeing ready for a turboconverion

first you coulld rebuilt your 2.4 engine with the piston/rod/bearing/rings of the neon srt-4 engine they are not too expensive from Chrysler and using those pistons will give you an engine safe at 20 psi
while the head is out have it shaved 0.05 to bump the compression a little bit and to make sure that you engine will be sealed properly
get a turbomanifold for the srt-4 , it's made for the second generation head but it fits close enought to be useable on a first generation head many many 1g neon owners did that
the turbo itself is built within the turbomanifold as 1 single piece
you will need a larger fuel pump I have no clue what would fit in the tank of a Caravan and you will need to install a fuel return line if your van doesn't have one
you need 4 injectors High impedance #30 , the Ford Motorcraft Red are a classic with turboconversion of chrysler engine and you need a SFMU from Vortech SFMU stands for Super Fuel Management Unit it's a device that will raise the fuel pressure on the fuel rail in relation with the boost level, the more boost the more fuel pressure the more fuel the injection will dump
you need an intercooler and pipping with high temps silicone coupler PLUS custom exhaust system from the downpipe all the way down to the exhaust tip
you need a pyrometer with a probe , a WIDE band air fuel ratio, a fuel pressure gauge that could read up to 100 psi and a boost gauge
you need 4 spark plug 2 range colder than what you are using now

that's a very basic system you have no need for a ECM

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey guys I also had another question...would adding an after market inter cooler help out with acceleration or horsepower gain?thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
you have no clue why there is an intercooler on a turbo car

·
Registered
163 Posts
I am currently building a new turbo setup for an originally N/A motor and it takes a lot of money, time and work to get it to work correctly. In regards to this van, i'd throw a SRT4 neon motor in it with the transmission. That would take out the issues with motor and transmission strength off the bat. You also wouldn't have to worry about tuning as well.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts