The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

Adding OEM Dual screen VES DVD entertainment system to my 08 T&C - Loads of PICTURES

209652 Views 191 Replies 52 Participants Last post by  steffen.m
Adding OEM Dual screen VES DVD entertainment system to my 08 T&C - Loads of PICTURES

I just purchased an 08 T&C that is loaded, minus the VES system. My family really wants it, so I'm going to add it myself and document the procedure here. I have scoured the net but not found a decent guide, so I'll make one here for others to follow. I'll take loads of pictures and include them here.

Before today I knew nothing about the VES system in these vans. I'm learning... here goes. Please email me to correct anything I get wrong, or even to help me along. All help is more than welcome!!!

Items still a mystery to me:
1) I assume the headphones and remotes operate over IR. Where are the IR receivers? I really hope they are not separate pieces I'm missing.

2) Dash harnesses... I only have the two roof harnesses. I have little idea exactly what I need for in the dash to make it all work at this point.

Components:

1) The roof console with the flip down monitors in it
2) The VES player that locates in the pocket in the dash below the climate controls
3) loads of wires...... (I'm still learning about this)
4) Headphones (2 sets)
5) Remote controls (2)

So far I have the 2 wire harnesses for the roof, the roof console itself and the VES player.

Everyone knows what the VES player and roof console look like, so I'll focus on pictures of the wires. I'm going to refer to the two roof harnesses as the little harness and the big harness.

Little harness: Appears to be an AV harness:

Wood Floor Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

Big harness: Appears to run the lighting, rear HVAC controls, power door controls, and power / data for the VES system.

Brown Wood Flooring Floor Wood stain

Both harnesses connect to the roof console at the very front. These are the only connectors to the roof console itself that I am aware of.

Wood Electrical wiring Machine Cable Automotive exterior

I'll now go into details on each roof harness.

LITTLE HARNESS

This is the main connector that plugs into the roof console:

Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain Fashion accessory

This is the connector that goes to the satellite radio antenna located on the rear of the roof:

Wood Flooring Floor Composite material Electrical wiring

This is the pair of connectors that run down to the rest of the VES harness. I still need to learn more about where this routes.

Wood Electrical wiring Flooring Cable Composite material
See less See more
Reactions: 5
1 - 20 of 192 Posts
BIG HARNESS
This is the main connector that plugs into the roof console:

Wood Circuit component Hardwood Electronic component Bag

These are the connectors that power the sunvisors

Wood Composite material Flooring Hardwood Cable

These are the connectors that go to the front overhead console with the door controls, maplights and climate sensor:

Wood Plant Hardwood Wood stain Twig

These are the 4 connectors that locate at the base of the passenger A-Pillar. The little gray plug and green plug are not VES related, rather they power the lighting and rear HVAC controls. The big gray and black connector are VES related. I assume they are power / data related.

Wood Hardwood Composite material Flooring Cable

As my van sits now, I can connect all but 4 connectors. The pair of connectors on the end of the little harness, and the big gray connector and black connector on the end of the big harness.

At this point I believe I have what I need to install the console in the roof and get the necessary wiring in the roof. We'll call that phase 1 of the project. Phase 2 will be getting the wiring in the dash to match up to the 4 connectors I don't have mates to, and plug in the VES player.

The final part will be having the dealer activate the system.

Wish me luck, and I cannot emphasize how much I appreciate any pointers / info.
What do I need for harnesses in the dash???
See less See more
Reactions: 5
This is incredible!

I will definitely be following this.

On the back of the radio, there are 3 main harnesses. The main harness, the uConnect harness, and the VES harness. Maybe that will help you a bit?

I'll see if I have any reference material that could help as well.
Reactions: 1
This is what the "Main" harness (big one), Satelite/GPS antenna (Yellow plug - note for 2011+ the sirius and gps antenna are one combo unit for '08-'10 the yellow is sirius and blue is gps), uConnect harness (small grey, 10-pin harness hiding behind the main harness in the picture), and AM/FM antenna (white plug) look like in a 2011+ Caravan. If I had the VES, there would be another harness like the "Main" harness as well.

Rear view of a RER "mygig" radio

See less See more
Yup, I've got a VES connector in the backside of my MyGIG radio, but the only wires in the connector right now appear to be for my reverse camera.

I'm missing a bunch of wires...
1) I assume the headphones and remotes operate over IR. Where are the IR receivers? I really hope they are not separate pieces I'm missing.

The IR transmitters are on the flip down screens.
Since this is one of the additions i would like to make as well... i will be religiously following this thread! ;)
Yup, I've got a VES connector in the backside of my MyGIG radio, but the only wires in the connector right now appear to be for my reverse camera.

I'm missing a bunch of wires...
Oh ok. Not sure if that makes it easier or not!

I wonder how the Mopar accessory rear dvd player plugs in? Although that one usually has a dvd player built into the screen mount...
The IR transmitters are on the flip down screens.
X2 they are in the black sections in front of the screens... You will see 4 leds or ir leds there when they are working
Update: I went to the salvage yard today and they let me walk out to the van my parts came from and do some research and collect additional pieces.

I learned that the "Little Harness" i documented above is actually the AUX Input harness that runs from the roof console down the driver's side C Pillar to the panel that contains the 12v accessory outlet and the 110v inverter outlet.

Gadget Gas Cable Battery charger Electronics accessory

And here are the connectors that plug into it on the little harness:

Electrical wiring Gas Cable Auto part Machine

Well, that mystery is solved. The little roof harness is now conquered.
See less See more
Reactions: 2
While at the salvage yard I completely disassembled the dash and recovered that portion of the VES harness. I believe this is the 3rd and last harness required to make this setup work.

Here is a picture of what I'll call the dash harness:

Brown Wood Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

Remember the two connectors on the "big harness" in the a-pillar that were a mystery to me? They connect to this dash harness!
Here:

Wood Cable Wire Hardwood Electrical wiring

Also, the VES player connects to the dash harness
Here:

Wood Cable Flooring Hardwood Composite material

AND, the VES plug for the back of the radio is part of this harness as well!... With all the wires I was missing.

Circuit component Electrical wiring Wood Electrical supply Wire

It also includes the stuff I already have... like the backup camera plug:

Wood Hardwood Flooring Wood stain Font

And the SAT antenna:

Wood Amber Flooring Hardwood Wire
See less See more
Reactions: 3
And random pictures of components:

The VSS Player:

Wood Electronic instrument Wood stain Flooring Musical instrument accessory

The label on the VSS player - note the pins are labeled.

Product Font Material property Gas Electric blue

The Roof Console:

Wood Gadget Rectangle Composite material Flooring

Front Screen:

Mobile phone Communication Device Telephony Gadget Portable communications device

Front screen open:

Wood Flooring Kitchen appliance Hardwood Electronic device

Rear Screen:

Rectangle Gas Automotive exterior Gadget Bumper

Rear screen open:

Wood Flooring Gadget Floor Wood stain
See less See more
Now we get to the next mystery... and hopefully the last one. At this point it appears everything else is solved.

The 2 connectors on the dash harness that connect to the main harness in the drivers side of the dash. They can be seen without any disassembly by laying on the floor and looking directly up past the brake pedal. My van has one connector up there, not two, and I dont know if the plug will fit. I'll have to go try it out......

Even if it doesn't fit, I don't think it's a show stopper, They just look like some power connectors to me. I bet they can be spliced manually.

Electrical wiring Cable Gas Wire Auto part

We've got:

Plug1
White with orange stripe
White with gray stripe

Plug2
Red
White with orange stripe
White with gray stripe

I assume the red in plug 2 is simply +BAT or +IGN
See less See more
I just figured it out!

Those two are the BUS & power connection to the van. My van DOES have them where they should be, but they are connected directly to eachother, so they are looped.

All you do is unplug them from each other, then the the dash harness connects in to both of them.

Problem solved. All connectors are now accounted for!!

I'll get to installing stuff this weekend!
Personally we just bring our 15" Laptop and use a Power Converter ($24.95 @ Wally World) I can plug in a 110 plug, a USB plug and another Cigarette Lighter plug all into the Converter, I don't think all at one time but I have used the USB and 110 plug at the same time without an issue. Also I didn't have to figure out all those darned wires and disassemble anything at all. Our son likes the larger screen and if we stop he can connect to a wireless connection like at McDonald's or Starbucks.

Let us know how long it took and how much of a pain in the rear it was to do, also any difficult spots.

GOOD LUCK!
TraceZ,

This is some awesome info, I'll be sharing this thread on the Routan forums as this ALWAYS pops up as an upgrade! Thanks for taking the plunge for others! If you have any harness numbers could you post them for folks looking to do this.

Now you need to go back and get the inverter stuff so you can get AC power in the van.....hint hint

Edit: Already posted it there and tuned in to see your progress! I'm glad the factory did all the dirty work for me.
you may have this already, but here is a link to the instructions for the retrofit (if you buy the after-the-fact kit from Chrysler) - http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ashx?id=2226&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_13391232008471
SWEET!!!!

Make sure you grab all the part numbers off those harness/etc before you install them!

You are definitely making quick progress on this!!
I just figured it out!

Those two are the BUS & power connection to the van. My van DOES have them where they should be, but they are connected directly to eachother, so they are looped.

All you do is unplug them from each other, then the the dash harness connects in to both of them.

Problem solved. All connectors are now accounted for!!

I'll get to installing stuff this weekend!
I wonder if this is for the "halo" lights in the roof console?

Do you have the mount that this all attaches to in the roof too?
Our van already has the inverter built in! :) Thanks for the compliments.
I wonder if this is for the "halo" lights in the roof console?

Do you have the mount that this all attaches to in the roof too?
Our van has the full length roof console with the halo lighting, it just doesn't have the DVD system. So all that stuff is already there.
1 - 20 of 192 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.