The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what the manual says regarding service at various miles . . . but I was hoping for advice from the experienced readers on this forum. My 2005 T&C just turned 90K miles and I'm planning some trips this summer so I wanted to make sure I'm up to date on various service needs. For example, should I replace the timing belt? I understand that's usually good to do around 100K. What else would you suggest I check, other than normal service I've done over the years (e.g., oil, filter, transmission fluid, battery, radiator flush/refill). Thanks for all suggestions!

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
There is no timing belt to change in your engine, it is a chain good for life. I would maybe consider a brake fluid flush, can never hurt to have fresh fluid in there.

·
MOPAR Parts & Service Pro
3,052 Posts
I know what the manual says regarding service at various miles . . . but I was hoping for advice from the experienced readers on this forum. My 2005 T&C just turned 90K miles and I'm planning some trips this summer so I wanted to make sure I'm up to date on various service needs. For example, should I replace the timing belt? I understand that's usually good to do around 100K. What else would you suggest I check, other than normal service I've done over the years (e.g., oil, filter, transmission fluid, battery, radiator flush/refill). Thanks for all suggestions!
Only the 4 cylinder's have a timing belt. Since you have an 05, chances are it has either the 3.3 or the 3.8 V6. They have a timing chain that is good until at least 200K.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Concur on the plugs/wires if not recently done as well as the brake fluid. Following are additional maintenance suggestions I recommend based on my own experience and not knowing the history on your particular van.
1. Jack up the front end and try rocking each front tire side to side to look for worn tie rods (inner and/or outer).
2. With the front end still jacked up, place a lever between the ball joint and inner rim and try to move the ball joint up, indicating ball joint wear if movement is seen.
3. Check the struts and shocks for wear, indicated by obvious leaking, strange tire wear, or an overly "springy" ride.
4. If your power steering pump is making noise, either replace the power steering reservoir or clean the internal filter inside the reservoir, and while you're at it, flush the power steering fluid and replace with ATF+4.
5. If you've had to previously replace any power steering fluid, or if the reservoir is low before maintenance, check the rack and pinion boots for pooling/leaking fluid (if you find any, then the seals are hosed and it's time for a replacement).
6. Check the brake linings while you're flushing the brake fluid.
7. Replace the sway bar bushings and end links if you feel/hear a clunking in the front end.
8. Check the water pump for obvious leaks and while in that area check the serpentine belt for cracks (recommend replacing if still original).
9. Check the radiator hoses for cracks, bulges, or soft spots, and if still original, recommend replacing. Along those lines, if the thermostat is still original, I highly recommend getting it out of there and replacing it along with a new gasket (mine grenaded at 85,000 miles).
10. Check the PCV for proper operation, and if still original, replace it.
11. If you have rear HVAC, trace the two steel heater pipes down the firewall until they curve 90 degrees and run horizontally along the bottom of the van where you will find a bracket welded to both lines. Look for major corrosion in that area.

Hope that helps, and happy motoring this summer!

-Ty

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think by timing belt he meant serpetine belt. If that is original at 90K miles that would be something to change. You can look it over and see any fraying or cracking but the party is over if that thing breaks in the middle of nowhere. If the transmission has not had a fluid/fiter change within the last 30K miles that would be something I would do because I figure if it helps put off transmissio work it is worth the $20 of ATF+4 and the gasket/filter kit. Other than that, the brake fluid is a good idea as well as the coolant if it is original.

this video of a serpentine belt change used to be free but for $0.99 it is a good deal if you want to do the work yourself but have not done this before.
http://teach-me-auto.com/Dodge/2002/GrandCaravanSport/SerpentineBelt/SerpentineBelt2002DodgeGrandCaravanSport.html

·
Premium Member
4,203 Posts
For the serpentine belt, I found it helpful to get the $20 (I think it was that much) wrench for with with a flat stock handle. I did mine with the van up on ramps from under the van with the pass. side splash shield removed. I also bought new push connectors for the splash shield for re-installation.

·
Registered
911 Posts
My 2005 was at the same point in its life last spring that yours is now. I had the same concerns you have, plus I knew my water pump was leaking at a growing rate.
Here's what I did:

1) Replaced the water pump b/c it was leaking.
2) Since coolant was removed for job #1, I replaced upper and lower radiator hoses, thermostat, and re-filled with Zerex G-05 HOAT (Hybrid Organic Acid Technology) yellow coolant, diluted 50/50 with distilled water.
3) Brake fluid flush (I do this every 30,000 or so with a pressure bleeder and a fresh quart of DOT-3 fluid)
4) New spark plugs (same as OEM - Champion double platinum) and plug wires.
5) Check/inspect (and in my case, replace b/c the stupid thing was rust-frozen) spare-tire cable system for functionality.
6) Replaced serpentine belt (mine was original still at 100,000 and didn't look too bad, but 100,000 is borrowed time on these).
7) Inspect and test tie-rod ends, ball joints, and other suspension parts (in my case, they were all fine and dandy).

I was thinking about getting in (back) there and changing the PCV valve just for good measure, but my van was getting good mileage and not using any oil, so I haven't yet (now at 121,000).

Nate

·
Banned
547 Posts
If the transmission fluid has not been changed, go to a reliable transmission place and have the filter/fluid replaced.
Ours looked pretty bad around 80,000 miles and I got it done then.
If they want to flush it and replace with new fluid find another shop.
You can get a replacement pan with a drain plug on it, they are available (Dorman Products)

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
...4. If your power steering pump is making noise, either replace the power steering reservoir or clean the internal filter inside the reservoir, and while you're at it, flush the power steering fluid and replace with ATF+4...
Actually, I would recommend replacing the reservoir even if there is not a problem with power steering noise. After owning two of these vans and discussing with folks on this forum, 90,000 is a good replacement interval for the reservoir.

·
Latent car nut
8,827 Posts
Unless the coil packs are malfunctioning, leave them alone; they'll typically last the life of the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
yep just stopped at the dealer for some ATF+4 and they said the same thing about the ignition coil pack. I would also suggest if changing the pcv valve while utilizing the technique to remove the upper plenum (intake), might as well do your plugs while your back there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts