The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Town & Country base 3.3L
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the OBD tool to use for my minivan? My son has a GM product and purchased a chinese tech 2 for $350 and it's more than paid for itself. Was wondering if we have a similar option?

I'd like to be able to program keys, adjust convenience settings since the key on-off thing isn't panning out.

·
Registered
2017 DGC SXT
374 Posts
Many people on here use either a program called AlfaOBD or Appcar-DiagFCA. AlfaOBD seems like the better choice to me because you can use it on an unlimited number of vehicles. However, I don't have personal experience with either program. I believe both programs cost $50. Then all you need is a bluetooth scanner.

Don't get the cheapest no-name one because they usually don't work with these programs. I've heard a cheap one from amazon (Veepak) works with alfaobd. You download alfaobd onto your android phone or laptop and connect the bluetooth scanner to your device.

AlfaOBD can unlock a lot of factory options and can program various things such as keys. I'm sure appcar can do similar things but I haven't read much on it.

·
Administrator
2009 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT (3.8); 2003 Dodge Grand Caravan eL (3.8)
2,477 Posts
Both AlfaOBD and Appcar-DiagFCA appear to be popular programs, and can do a lot with the 5th generation and up vans.

You didn't mention what year van you need an OBD tool for but it appears, by some of your other post, that you have a 2005, unfortunately neither of these tools will work for vans prior to 2008.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
OBDThree on the google play store is the only option i've seen so far for 4th gen vans and it doesn't seem nearly as powerful as alfaOBD

pretty useful still, though

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jaded,
If you find something, please post, I'm in the same boat. I got the obdlink mx+ which handles the Bluetooth communication ok. The program that comes with it is lacking. The alfa and appcar specify they don't support my 06 t&c but both list 05 Chrysler 300 and 05 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Maybe there's a work a round. There's a reason I say this because I've seen other software say I can purchase an appcar add on to their program. Since I'm still in my 90 day return window, I'm looking at Think obd. Also touchscan and obdwiz. They all have poor websites. It seems this fairly new business is in growth pains, they all want to do more instead of doing the most wanted things well.
2 $ ( 2 cents adjusted for inflation )

·
Registered
54 Posts
What is the OBD tool to use for my minivan? My son has a GM product and purchased a chinese tech 2 for $350 and it's more than paid for itself. Was wondering if we have a similar option?

I'd like to be able to program keys, adjust convenience settings since the key on-off thing isn't panning out.
Have you checked with Tom's Key Company? They sell a replacement (fob) key and programmer for different years.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts