The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just changed the front brakes of my Dodge Grand Caravan 2008. Later, I noticed that once I reach 20 km/h, the ESP/BAS, ABS, BRAKE, and Traction Control lights all become ON at the same time. When I turn the engine OFF then ON again, the lights are OFF until I reach 20 km/h when they become ON again.

To change my brakes, I used the method in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4p_FwKPv64 . I pushed the caliper piston back into the caliper WITHOUT opening the bleeder valve (as suggested in the video). I read online that brakes fluid in the caliper piston may have damaged the ABS unit. Could this be the cause of the problem? Is there an easy fix or a way to replace the ABS unit myself?

Also, is it safe to drive the car in its current condition? the brakes seem to be working fine.

One last thing, I tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes but this didn't help.

Thank you in advance for your help and sorry for my English.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Did you remove or cause and damage to the ABS sensors? Did you check the brake fluid level?

I would get a code reader that also reads ABS codes. The auto parts places might have an ABS code reader if you don't have one.

Your brakes will work, just not the ABS so allow extra distance for stopping.

The code reader would tell you if there is any issue, which there appears to be.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I highly doubt that the brake fluid pushed back from the calipers did any damage. The system is too big for that fluid to make its way all the way back to the ABS module anyways.
I would start with inspecting ABS sensors and the connectors located at the wheels. Most systems do the initial check when the key is in the run position and only start to function only after certain speed is reached. Since the lights start to come on after 20kph, I'm inclined to think there is something wrong with the ABS sensors. Code reader will also help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies.

The brake fluid is OK, and the sensors seem to be OK too. I got the car checked today. The code reader gave the error C2200. The mechanic told me the problem is with the ABS module, not the sensors. He suggested to replace the current module with a 'used ABS module' which costs about $700 with installation.

My assumption is that pushing the the brakes fluid back from the caliper contaminated the ABS module and caused it to fail. My question is: is there a (cheaper) way to fix this problem without replacing the ABC module, e.g., cleaning the module? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,131 Posts
For my 4th gen (2001) I had my ABS module rebuilt by modulemaster.
You may have to give them a call to see if they can do the 5th gen. (Or look on their website)
I want to say the one in mine was a Bosch).
http://modulemaster.com/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The weirdest thing happened yesterday. The problem just disappeared. I don't know if this is because of something I did (or the mechanic who read the code did) or because of another reason. In all cases, I am happy that the problem does not exist anymore. Thanks for everyone who tried to help :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had nearly the same experience a month or two ago. I changed the front rotors (pads were ok) but I still had to push in the pistons on the brake calipers. A day or two later, my wife calls to report that all kinds of lights on the dash were illuminated, abs, traction control, etc...

I came here to research the lights, but before I had time to do anything, she said that the lights had gone out, and have not come back.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The weirdest thing happened yesterday. The problem just disappeared. I don't know if this is because of something I did (or the mechanic who read the code did) or because of another reason. In all cases, I am happy that the problem does not exist anymore. Thanks for everyone who tried to help :)
I have same car and I did same thing like you(change front brake pad) and get same problem same error code C2200. but after some days. this problem is still there. what can I do for this. do you think replace ABS module can fix it? i will spend $750

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did your problem disappear? I have exactly the same problem. After replacing the front brake pads and calipers. I replaced the abs wheel sensors. Still all 4 lights (ABS/ESP) on the dash are on.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
1,119 Posts
Did your problem disappear? I have exactly the same problem. After replacing the front brake pads and calipers. I replaced the abs wheel sensors. Still all 4 lights (ABS/ESP) on the dash are on.
Had that once. A good hard stomp on the brakes fixed it. Apparently the ABS senses an imbalance in pressure and think it's falling apart. If the code last more than a couple days, replace the module because it really has died. OP said his resolved in 3 days. Mine resolved in 5 minutes. :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts