The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone - I own a 2013 Town & Country Touring - it has the factory installed roof rack - we are paddleboarders and need a stronger cross bar - the factory bars are bent and after my attempt to fix them they are now creased in the center and I can no longer use them - I have looked high and low for after market cross bars that are stronger - there is a set from Mopar but I cannot get any confirmation that they are better then the factory bars -

I was really hoping for a thule style cross bar buy at this point I am open to anything that has to offer for advice -

I would even be open to a complete new system - rails and cross bars but I cannot seem to find anything -

I even spoke to a Rhino Rack Executive this morning and was told they don't have anything...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good evening
I have a 2012 and do not have factory bars , I installed a thule complete system I use it for carrying two bike and a box occasionally

not cheap but very solid and I take off for the winter so the salt and such does not rust it ,

check rack attack or something like that

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
they changed the roof racks in 2013 - I would have to remove my rack and have the new one installed and it would require body work on the roof - I had an estimate for $ 1200

·
Registered
516 Posts
they changed the roof racks in 2013 - I would have to remove my rack and have the new one installed and it would require body work on the roof - I had an estimate for $ 1200
Your later roof rack is the type that stores the cross bars in the factory fitted fixed rails, so are they weaker than the earlier non storing type?

Also would using another pair off another vehicle have helped because, then the loading would be less on each bar, I.E. instead of each bar bearing 50% of the load, then each bar would be supporting 25%?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A friend of mine suggested that as well - I am going go look into it...Maybe someone will come up with something at some point...thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I ended up ordering an extra set of cross bars - there is room for three to be attached at the same time - I ordered on eBay and am waiting for them to arrive - I will have an extra since I ordered 4 cross bars (price was right) - and - I ended up speaking with a good friend of mine that works at Chrysler dealership and he has had a lot of questions about this - non of the after market guys make anything and lots of ppl feel the factory racks are not at all beefy enough - anyway, I have a road trip coming up where I will have to stack three paddle boards on top - I will let you know how it goes!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts