The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm about to reassemble the dash together as I'm done in that area. I installed an aftermarket radio as Dodge had no OEM solution that would've been practical and/or up to date with modern technologies. I got an Atoto F7XE android auto compatible radio to replace the RES basic radio that came with the van. I installed a Axxess ASWC-1 interface for steering wheel controls and it works good.

The ONLY thing that bug me with the current setup is that the radio doesn't dim when the headlights gets turned on and during the night, it is just a annoyance to manually dim the screen and set the maps to "night mode" EACH time I turn on the car when it's dark. If I don't do that, the screen blinds me.

There is an illumination wire that is not hooked up to anything right now and I think this might needs to get connected somewhere so the radio could detect when the headlights are on. My understanding is that it only needs to detect a 12v signal to know when to dim the light, right?

I think I could get that signal from the plug in the back of the headlight switch. Pin 5 is called "PANEL LAMPS DRIVER".

Does that makes sense? Anyone has experience with that?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
The CAN adapter you're using didn't have that output? I think you're right that 12v would work.

Reactions: johncampanale

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am rooting for you. When I did this before, I had to get a little harness adapter to get Pioneer to work with Dodge. Have you made your own or it has 1 wire leftover ? 1 of those wires that is already there should have the signal you need ( because the stock radio had dim feature )
That was on a 90's conversion van. Let us know your results. Good luck

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The CAN adapter you're using didn't have that output? I think you're right that 12v would work.
Information is very spare on the interface unit. They never mention anything about illumination. There is many wires but they don't give any pinout diagram.

I know I probably bought the wrong one but now it is too late to return it so I'm stuck with it. Is someone finds something about It, it would certainly make my life a lot simpler.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am rooting for you. When I did this before, I had to get a little harness adapter to get Pioneer to work with Dodge. Have you made your own or it has 1 wire leftover ? 1 of those wires that is already there should have the signal you need ( because the stock radio had dim feature )
That was on a 90's conversion van. Let us know your results. Good luck
I uses a special harness as not to modify the stock harness there is no illumination wire in it as I think the information is sent via the CANBUS network. I think it only sense when there is 12v on the line. Ideally I would prefer to have it dim like everything else on the dash but I'd it just had a day/night mode I would be happy when the headlights would toggle. There is an orange illumination wire that is free at this time and all the cables of the harness are used.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I uses a special harness as not to modify the stock harness there is no illumination wire in it as I think the information is sent via the CANBUS network. I think it only sense when there is 12v on the line. Ideally I would prefer to have it dim like everything else on the dash but I'd it just had a day/night mode I would be happy when the headlights would toggle. There is an orange illumination wire that is free at this time and all the cables of the harness are used.
Yeah you just need a signal voltage to the illumination wire on the headunit. I have to get the same thing sorted for mine. My assumption was the easiest place to tap for signal would be a wire off the back of the headlight switch. But I haven't pulled out my meter to check which one is powered with the headlights on.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I found a way to test this. My dash is not yet reassembled and as such I have access to the connector in the back of the instrument cluster. I will try to find which pin gets 12v when i toggle the headlamp switch. After, I can trace it back to the light switch so you won't have to disassemble your dash to find the appropriate wire.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think I found a way to test this. My dash is not yet reassembled and as such I have access to the connector in the back of the instrument cluster. I will try to find which pin gets 12v when i toggle the headlamp switch. After, I can trace it back to the light switch so you won't have to disassemble your dash to find the appropriate wire.
The headlight switch pops right out of the dash, there's no real disassembly required. Just probe the 5 wires going into that switch and see which one is powered only with the headlights on.

EDIT- I just downloaded all the info from that FB page today. I unzipped it and looked at the wiring diagram. It appears that the Yellow/white wire on the headlamp switch is the signal.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow thanks, but what about pin 4? It says interior lighting do you think it would work? Maybe I would get the gradual dimming I mentioned (dim at the same pace as the rest of the dash)
I thought about that myself, just tapping into the rheostat wire that dims the dash lights. But I'm not sure how the headunit would interpret that? I feel like it's a basic on off circuit.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought about that myself, just tapping into the rheostat wire that dims the dash lights. But I'm not sure how the headunit would interpret that? I feel like it's a basic on off circuit.
Well. The answer for my radio is not well at all! It keep switching between day and night mode unless the brightness is set to 100%, then the radio goes in "night mode". So... I have to try something else. Is one of the wire either 12v or 0v with nothing in between?

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
Just double checked because it's been a while since I dealt with these types of issues personally, but it is 12v.

Could it be an issue with the radio? What model is it?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well... none of the wire on the headlamp switch work normally. The "panel driver" only works normally when you put the dash illumination to maximum brightness. Otherwise, the radio switch between day and night mode franaticly while driving. I don't know where else to check.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
5,319 Posts
Kinda figured that would send out a PWM signal. Other thing you can do is tie into the one that feeds the corner markers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well. The answer for my radio is not well at all! It keep switching between day and night mode unless the brightness is set to 100%, then the radio goes in "night mode". So... I have to try something else. Is one of the wire either 12v or 0v with nothing in between?
Yeah I double checked the schematic. The Orange wire is just for illumination. I didn't notice it first time with everything being so small, so the signal line seemed like it would do the job.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Unfortunately that didn't worked. It didn't do anything ar all. There is no 12 volts in this signal. The wire is orange with a brown line, not plain orange. At some point, I will connect the radio to a corner light. That will surely provide the required signal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts