The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 I just purchased this month came with no spare tire or jack/tool kit. Dealer got a used rim and put a new full size tire on it for me for a spare. I had a spare breaker bar and extension laying around, so just had to purchase an extra socket and a scissor jack. I picked up the only brand they had, a Prolift — online reviews are very mixed. I haven’t put it under the vehicle yet to see if it will work. They have a minivan pic on the box. Max Lift hight is 15.** inches. Will the factory/ manual listed jack points work?

·
Super Moderator
22,925 Posts
Jack points have a SAE inverted triangle shaped symbol locating them.

A regular scissors jack should work at these points.

My choice scissors jack is an RV jack with a reinforced (against splitting) block of maple wood on top. That works on my 2016 using the identified jack points. Sometimes I use an old brake pad on top of the wood.

Something like this: 2 pc 2-1/2 Ton RV Scissor Jacks | Princess Auto

·
Registered
441 Posts
A bit weak for a 2 1/4 ton van. Be very careful with that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jack points have a SAE inverted triangle shaped symbol locating them.

A regular scissors jack should work at these points.

My choice scissors jack is an RV jack with a reinforced (against splitting) block of maple wood on top. That works on my 2016 using the identified jack points. Sometimes I use an old brake pad on top of the wood.

Something like this: 2 pc 2-1/2 Ton RV Scissor Jacks | Princess Auto

Anything wrong with just ordering a Mopar replacement jack? Can get one online for $119 shipped. All the aftermarket ones I’m looking at have poor reviews and I’m unsure of fitment. Was also thinking of going bottle jack route if I can find a size that works but looks doubtful.

·
Super Moderator
22,925 Posts
Junk yard should have lots of the Chrysler minivan jacks, just waiting to be picked up.

Rockauto sells one like yours: Garage Equipment Jack Scissor Jack Parts | RockAuto

That large bottom gives stability but only on a uniform surface.

Your jack should be able to lift one corner, likely even one side, unloaded, without trouble.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already returned it. A few reviews showed the jack buckling in use. And others said the screwthreads wore out on first use.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If the spare hasn't been optional for long, try a wrecker for a
I already returned it. A few reviews showed the jack buckling in use. And others said the screwthreads wore out on first use.
I've found scissor jacks, even OE ones, are only good for a few uses before the threads give out. I got a good floor jack, but of course is only good at home. I've had 15(!) punctures in the last 10 years, but fortunately have been able to avoid a roadside change.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
USJack makes a 12 ton compact bottle jack, just haven’t figured out if it will work. The collapsed hight is 6.5 inches and lift hight is 12.25. The lift hight isn’t a huge issue- just put an appropriate piece of wood under jack if needed. I have the standard size 12 ton in my truck for 18 years now. Still works great. Use it to lift tractors.

·
Registered
76 Posts
USJack makes a 12 ton compact bottle jack, just haven’t figured out if it will work. The collapsed hight is 6.5 inches and lift hight is 12.25. The lift hight isn’t a huge issue- just put an appropriate piece of wood under jack if needed. I have the standard size 12 ton in my truck for 18 years now. Still works great. Use it to lift tractors.
If you have a flat, you won't have 6.5" of space to fit the jack in. 12 ton is nice, but overkill. Although the van weighs over 2 tons, lifting one wheel off the ground is a fraction of that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have a flat, you won't have 6.5" of space to fit the jack in. 12 ton is nice, but overkill. Although the van weighs over 2 tons, lifting one wheel off the ground is a fraction of that.
That’s what I figured but the scissor jacks are around 4 inches collapsed. I haven’t found a scissors jack that doesn’t have catastrophic reviews. Durability is the reason for us made bottle jack. That’s the smallest one they make. I tried a Chinese made one. After the first use it no longer would raise anything.

·
Super Moderator
22,925 Posts
Scissors jacks are fairly flimsy tools anyway. Improper use makes them worse, hence the complaints. They don't like sideways forces, you have to block the wheels.

I have one from an old 1981 K-Car, which is in good shape, and can be used for the vans. It's flimsy and I am very careful using it. It's well lubricated. Only problem it will tend to lower itself if the handle is removed.

I also use a small OE scissors jack on a 2004 Acura TSX that works very well for that vehicle.

Vosarea Heavy Duty Steel Scissor Jack 2 Ton
may work:

I like the base better than the big wide flat ones.

I will check my 2016 GC's jack to see what rating it has for weight lift.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Scissors jacks are fairly flimsy tools anyway. Improper use makes them worse, hence the complaints. They don't like sideways forces, you have to block the wheels.

I have one from an old 1981 K-Car, which is in good shape, and can be used for the vans. It's flimsy and I am very careful using it. It's well lubricated. Only problem it will tend to lower itself if the handle is removed.

I also use a small OE scissors jack on a 2004 Acura TSX that works very well for that vehicle.

Vosarea Heavy Duty Steel Scissor Jack 2 Ton
may work:

I like the base better than the big wide flat ones.

I will check my 2016 GC's jack to see what rating it has for weight lift.
I carry blocks on my truck, but not much room in van. When I had a flat on the old impalas I just put them in park and applied the parking brake. And used the factory supplied scissor jack.

On the factory mopar jack, can just a socket wrench/ breaker bar be used to crank it up/down? Really thinking that jack is my best option- and it will fit in the storage compartment.

·
Super Moderator
22,925 Posts
I carry blocks on my truck, but not much room in van. When I had a flat on the old impalas I just put them in park and applied the parking brake. And used the factory supplied scissor jack.

On the factory mopar jack, can just a socket wrench/ breaker bar be used to crank it up/down? Really thinking that jack is my best option- and it will fit in the storage compartment.
Haven't looked at my 2016 GC's jack yet, but previous Generations had a 3/4" nut to turn.

·
Super Moderator
22,925 Posts
Haven't looked at my 2016 GC's jack yet, but previous Generations had a 3/4" nut to turn.
I checked my 2016 GC's jack today. It has a nut (3/4" I would guess) on the end for using a wrench (included) on. Comes in a nice pouch. The tools for dropping the spare tire are there as well.

Couldn't find any capacity (tons) stamped or written anywhere.

I could provide physical measurements if you like. It just fits into the space, so a longer jack may not work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I checked my 2016 GC's jack today. It has a nut (3/4" I would guess) on the end for using a wrench (included) on. Comes in a nice pouch. The tools for dropping the spare tire are there as well.

Couldn't find any capacity (tons) stamped or written anywhere.

I could provide physical measurements if you like. It just fits into the space, so a longer jack may not work.
Have you used the factory jack? Will it raise the van high enough to install a full size spare?

·
Super Moderator
22,925 Posts
Have you used the factory jack? Will it raise the van high enough to install a full size spare?
Not on the 2016 GC, but on the previous vans. Yes, they raised the vans high enough.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts