The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The threads on the stem of one of the original sensors sheared off and caused a constant air leak. The sensor was removed and replaced with a traditional stem. I want to replace this with a new sensor; however, I have been told that the first gen sensors are crap and will probably fail as well. I am looking to replace all four sensors but would like to know which sensor to use. The OEM? Is there a better aftermarket? Can anyone provide thoughts and experiences?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Try Discount Tire. We have had great service at Discount Tire. They can rebuild the Sensor internal parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they installed the rebuild kits, but this sensor is all one piece and must be entirely replaced. They quoted me $60 per tire to replace. I'm not sure if $240 is a bargain or not. My mechanic will install the sensors if I buy them so I'd like to see what that route will cost if I know what sensor would be best to install.

·
Registered
462 Posts
On our '08 T&C, I replaced all 4 original Siemens TPMSs that have cheap pot metal stems with Schrader 28434. One of the original stems broke off while I was adding air at a gas station. Changing a tire in 6 inches of snow, not fun at all.

Bought a new set of 4 28434 at Amazon for approx. $150, fitted them myself as I have a Harbor Freight tire change rig. Replacement stems for the Schrader 28434 are part # 20018, but as they are rubber coated, I don't think they will fail like the junk OE stems. The 28434 is a direct fit, no programming. Drive for 10 minutes and the van detects the new TPMS. You'll have to check which TPMS is correct for your year van. I'm very happy with the Schrader, don't think the rubber coated stem will fail.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On our '08 T&C, I replaced all 4 original Siemens TPMSs that have cheap pot metal stems with Schrader 28434. One of the original stems broke off while I was adding air at a gas station. Changing a tire in 6 inches of snow, not fun at all.

Bought a new set of 4 28434 at Amazon for approx. $150, fitted them myself as I have a Harbor Freight tire change rig. Replacement stems for the Schrader 28434 are part # 20018, but as they are rubber coated, I don't think they will fail like the junk OE stems. The 28434 is a direct fit, no programming. Drive for 10 minutes and the van detects the new TPMS. You'll have to check which TPMS is correct for your year van. I'm very happy with the Schrader, don't think the rubber coated stem will fail.
Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for: price, type, brand. I've been told that the "better" sensors have the rubber stems. I'll look for the Schrader 28434 sensors then. If I only had your tire change setup, I'd be ready to go. Thank you again for the insight.

·
Registered
462 Posts
The Schrader web site has a pdf file, showing which TPMS fits a year/make/model. This link should work, otherwise find the main Schrader web site and navigate:

TPMS Catalog

Notice that the TPMS can change year to year, so look up the part # for your year. The '08 has 2 part #'s, one has metal stem, one has rubber coated stem (28434). The '10 year lists no part at all, then the '11 year has a different part #. I know the 28434 is an easy fit to the '08 with no programming, not sure about the other parts, so do your due diligence and know what you are getting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts