The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Plymouth Voyager with a 2.4 engine in it. Anyways, completely randomly since this past monday, when I drive down the road the air bag light will light up, I'll get a chime, and then it goes out. Seems to be totally random. It may not go on the entire drive for 20 miles, it may go on 10 times over 10 miles. I don't know where to start troubleshooting. Where is the airbag sensor? I would assume it isn't that otherwise the air bag might deploy :-(

Ideas?
Thank you in advance
David

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Sounds like a clockspring problem. They were known to be defective on these vans and they carry a lifetime warranty for the 96-00 vans. When the light is on, does your horn and cruise control function?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a clockspring problem. They were known to be defective on these vans and they carry a lifetime warranty for the 96-00 vans. When the light is on, does your horn and cruise control function?
This van is super simple - no cruise control. I haven't tried the horn though. So is this a lifetime warranty issue? I don't even know what a "clockspring" is. :)

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
This van is super simple - no cruise control. I haven't tried the horn though. So is this a lifetime warranty issue? I don't even know what a "clockspring" is. :)
IF it is the clock spring, then yes it will be covered. The clockspring is a wound piece of wiring that enables the steering wheel to be turned and retain electrical contact between all the electrical parts on the wheel. Since the air bag and horn (and cruise if equipped) are mounted on the wheel, when the part fails usually the horn won't work and the air bag won't either which sets the light off.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sure enough

I went to the Chyster dealer and sure enough it is a clockspring problem. They are ordering me up one. Thanks a lot for this group, I really appreciate the information!!!

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
I went to the Chyster dealer and sure enough it is a clockspring problem. They are ordering me up one. Thanks a lot for this group, I really appreciate the information!!!
Good to hear that its a painless thing to have fixed. How long is the wait going to be for the part? They were usually on national back order but may not be anymore since many 3rd gens are not around anymore.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No idea :-( I got a "we'll call you when we get the part, its safe to drive for now". I don't quite know how driving without a horn is safe, but..... I need my inspection done by the end of September, so lets hope it is done by then :-(

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Just call them maybe once a week to make sure they are on it. If they know you will be needing inspection soon, that should hopefully let them know that it needs to be done by then. I wouldn't consider the lack of horn unsafe, but the fact that the air bag will not deploy in an accident is not good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Good to hear that its a painless thing to have fixed. How long is the wait going to be for the part? They were usually on national back order but may not be anymore since many 3rd gens are not around anymore.
I just had a clockspring replaced on my 99 T&C. It only took 4 days for the part to arrive. Now I have a horn and the airbag light is off but the cruise still doesn't work. I'll start another thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts