The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I live in California, and it's starting to hit the 100's now, so the air con problem is starting to become a bigger and bigger issue.

Basically, it does VERY little cooling, and the small amount of cooling that does happen only comes from the passenger side.

Last year we had it serviced (drain, leak check, refill) and it was OK at best for a while, so now I'm thinking maybe we have a problem.
There are no funny noises or anything like that. We put it on circulate, to maximise (which turns on a second fan or something, as the air power grows)
The fan still works well, I can hear it and feel the air, but the actual cooling sucks.
I think the first thing we are going to do is take it to be serviced again, and then see what happens, but I'm not holding any hope for it...

Has anyone else had this issue?
Has anyone got a fix?
Has anyone got anything I can try and see if it works?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,547 Posts
.....There are no funny noises or anything like that. We put it on circulate, to maximise (which turns on a second fan or something, as the air power grows)
The fan still works well, I can hear it and feel the air, but the actual cooling sucks.
I think the first thing we are going to do is take it to be serviced again, and then see what happens, but I'm not holding any hope for it...

Has anyone else had this issue?
Has anyone got a fix?
Has anyone got anything I can try and see if it works?
Recirculate mode doesn't turn any additional fan on, it just "recirculate" inside air, it doesn't allow much outside air in.

·
Vanless member
2,087 Posts
If you are handy and work on your own cars, I recommend changing the "easy to access" O-rings before re-charging, leaks are often in these areas.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I understand what the recirculate does.
But when we put it onto full fan, and recirc it sounds like a second fan comes on inside the vehicle, rather than the usual fan just speeding up.
I am aware it's probably my ears just playing tricks on me, but thats what it sounds like.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm no pro...
I can do basic things like change the tires, oil, battery... Service type stuff...
I'm going to try and get someone who actually has a clue to look at it, we shall see what actually happens.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
But when we put it onto full fan, and recirc it sounds like a second fan comes on inside the vehicle, rather than the usual fan just speeding up.
I am aware it's probably my ears just playing tricks on me, but thats what it sounds like.
Your ears are not playing tricks on you, ours does the same thing. It even blows harder through all vents when recirculate is on. You can do a simple test by using a meat thermometer to test the temp of the air. It should be 30 degrees lower than the outside air temp. Use the vent closest to the evap. core for your reading. You can do it while driving, just make sure your RPM's are around 1500.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Your ears are not playing tricks on you, ours does the same thing. It even blows harder through all vents when recirculate is on. You can do a simple test by using a meat thermometer to test the temp of the air. It should be 30 degrees lower than the outside air temp. Use the vent closest to the evap. core for your reading. You can do it while driving, just make sure your RPM's are around 1500.
I made a mistake. The vent temp should be below 55 degrees. Check out the link below

http://www.autozone.com/landing/page.jsp?name=recharge-auto-ac&intcmp=20160530_lp_bottom_ACCompleteJob_next_CTA#chart

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
10,547 Posts
Yes, that is what it is, your ears are playing tricks on you (and on someone else too).

When you activate recirculate, the blend door actuator force air a different way, outside air is not longer routed throughout the vents, then you feel like a second fan kicked in.

·
Vanless member
2,087 Posts
Yes, that is what it is, your ears are playing tricks on you (and on someone else too).

When you activate recirculate, the blend door actuator force air a different way, outside air is not longer routed throughout the vents, then you feel like a second fan kicked in.
LEVY is right, there is no second fan or "boost". It's just the way the air circulates that sounds different.

·
Registered
94 Posts
You said you only get cold air from the passenger side? What about the rear? It could be an issue with a blend door actuator where it's not operating correctly and instead of getting cold you are getting heat. Having the system pressure checked will help to make sure if there is or isn't a leak. If you cycle the driver side between cold and hot there should be a change, same with passenger and rear. Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts