The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Town and Country Minivan , bought 2 weeks ago . Took to dealer for airbag light . After scan told me the bad news - passenger seat bladder and sensor bad. They said the part was a 1200.00 part and Chrysler no longer supports or has any parts to fix .I asked about salage yard and they said maybe one of ten seats might be good but each one has to be scanned and syn. with vin number .Now what , anyone have this problem? Is there a fix? Thank you for any help .. Mike

·
fix it if you can
5,751 Posts
Welcome aboard Mike,
Run away from the dealer as quickly as you can (before they sell you a 'new' car).
If you can't DIY, find an independent shop - perhaps a good collision shop that can repair/replace and re-calibrate the Occupant Classification System.
Otherwise, you'll have to invest in or borrow a scan tool that will let you reset the system.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Do you know what part number you need? I happen to have a new passenger seat cushion (no cover) with occupancy sensor and heater hanging around from a past effort to replace my seat cushions on a 2005 T&C Limited. Had planned to replace the entire passenger seat cushion and cover with this new one but it turned out that the seat cushion I bought was not compatible with my particular build (the wiring/connectors were simply not the same, even though the part I bought was supposed to be for 2005). Only thing I can figure is that the wiring must have changed for the mid-model year 2005s?

Anyway, I ended up swiping the seat cover off the new incompatible one and using it on my old cusion that was still good. I'd guess this cusion might work for the early 2005 models or earlier.... maybe. Don't really know. I posted a picture of it on this site somewhere long ago, looking for help but nobody being able to do so. Will see if I can find that post again. If so, perhaps you can compare your cushion connections to the one I have laying around.

What year is your Town and Country?

So, here's the thread I posted some time back with a picture of the cushion and its' connections (See Post # 5 for the photo):

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello, I do not know my part number but the car is a Town and Country base 2007 . I used your part number 1AM941D5AA and Mopar parts said not for this car . May be because I do not have heated seats . I think the plug-ins in pictures look the same , I will have to double check . I have not taken the my seat apart but in your pictures looks like the bladder is part of the seat cushion? All the Chrysler dealer told me was that the seat had a bladder with sensors and that part was bad . Said was a 1200.00 part that was no longer supported . Not sure what the part is called and vert little info on the web about this .Iam a old guy trying to figure this out and thank you so much for your help . Mike

·
Registered
973 Posts
Yes, the bladder is included with the seat cushion. I think it also includes the sensor for the bladder as well, along with some harnessing.

The part number I gave is for the gray (D5) TL leather trim level (TLD5) with heated seats and would normally include the leather seat cover as well; however, I took the seat cover off this one to use on my old cushion. Part number will differ for different trim material/designs, colors, and options.

As this 1AM941D5AA cushion (as listed in a 2005 parts manual) did not mate properly with my late-model (mid-model year tracking) 2005 T&C, I'm guessing it was probably for early 2005 production, and.or possibly for earlier models. For 2006 and 2007, I believe the part number bacame 1AM941D5AB... the AB revision of this part. I'm thinking that's the one I probably needed as the AB part was the only one I could find to try on the driver's side and it connected up perfectly, even though the 2005 parts manual specified the AA version for the driver's side as well on my 2005.

When I get some time, I'll see if I can find the part number(s) for a 2007 base model without heated seats. Unfortunately, as shown by my own experience, I cannot guarantee fitment though! That said, more info for consideration is better than less so that you might be able to give it a try, if you can find one. Purchased mine off of Ebay.

Believe it is true that there is a weight sensing calibration procedure that must be performed following replacement... you might consider whether it's possible that is all you really need done; however, you would think the dealer would know if that were the case...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank You , ScuzziOn
I took my vin. 1A4GJ45R57B226859 and found a part number of 1HG761J3AA , said right seat cushion [ I juess that means passenger] ? That was on moparpartsjiant.com . If thats the right one its 1000.38 ,little too much for this old guy but looks like they do have it . If I understand you , the correct color codes are in the 1HG761J3AA parts number ? ScuzziOne no hurry - only when you get time . Thanks Again for your help Mike

·
Registered
973 Posts
Hmmm... I'm looking at that part in the 2007 parts listings but what's odd is that it shows up for two trim codes, H8 & J8 (both being cloth, low-back bucket) with the H8 listing failing to note the occupant classification system [XCA] and the J8 listing indicating with occupant classification system [XCA].

So, here's what it specifically states under the H8 Trim Code:

Part # 1HG761J3AA
Trim: H8
Description: [J1], Right

And here's what it states under the J8 Trim Code:

Part # 1HG761J3AA
Trim: J8
Description: [J1], With [XCA], Right

So that's trim code H8/J8 (cloth, Low-Back Bucket) with color code J1 (Dk Khaki/Lt Graystone), which pretty much matches your build sheet (PDF attached).

What's not clear from the build sheet is the specific trim code you have; however, it appears to be the same part number for either one.

Presumably your trim code is J8... or H8? Either way, you should be able to find your trim code on the driver's door sticker... I believe listed at the bottom as TRM:xx or TRIM:xx

So, all that to say that the part number Parts Giant came up with does match what my parts list is showing... just a bit confused about the description difference under the two different trim codes. My guess is that it has the occupant classification system under either as they did not specifically say "Without [XCA]" on the H8 trim listing. Unfortunately, these parts listing catalogs are not always consistent and clear...

Just FYI, this is a totally different part number (and trim codes) than that listed for the 2006, so if you get one from the junkyard you probably best get it off of a 2007 with trim code H8 or J8.

Attachments

·
Registered
973 Posts
There's one on Ebay, but it's over $1300... wow, these things have gotten expensive! Seems like I only paid $350 or so four or five years ago when I bought mine. Would suggest saving a search for this part number on Ebay and see if one eventually turns up for a cheaper price! Or, you could try making them an offer of what you might be willing to pay... never know 'til you ask!

Best of Luck!

·
fix it if you can
5,751 Posts
Again, talk to a local independent collision repair shop - they should be able to put a used passenger seat in that van and reset the system, probably for under 600.

If you want to do it all or partially yourself, check on car-part.com for a whole seat at a nearby salvage yard (it shouldn't cost over 200, probably considerably less) then find a person/shop/tool to re-calibrate the system. Make sure to talk to whoever will do calibration beforehand and match the p/n on the sensor module if you go this route.

What's the insurance value of an '07 base (shorty?) T&C and how much do you really want to pour into it? (new cushion will still need to be calibrated)

·
Registered
406 Posts
What is the actual SRS/airbag code? Could be as simple as putting too much stuff on the passenger seat for too long and throwing it out of calibration. Daughter did this with her '06 charger, had a heavy box on the seat for a week or so and when the box was removed, an airbag code popped up. Cleared the code with a number of restarts and butt-ins and butt-outs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What is the actual SRS/airbag code? Could be as simple as putting too much stuff on the passenger seat for too long and throwing it out of calibration. Daughter did this with her '06 charger, had a heavy box on the seat for a week or so and when the box was removed, an airbag code popped up. Cleared the code with a number of restarts and butt-ins and butt-outs.
Hi ggoose , Yea I dont know code only know what they told me that bladder with sensor is bad was a 1200.00 part that they can no longer get . . Took all of 15 min. on scanner I think I will go back to them Monday and ask . Thank You , Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wanted to update what my problem was and how I fixed it. As Chrysler told me the Bladder inside the seat was bad ..I purchased a scan tool-Foxwell 630plus that showed me a Short To Ground problem with the bladder . Went to a junk yard and took a seat apart , removed the bladder and replaced mine . That one same problem , tested bad . Without a scan tool with airbab reader would have had to pay Chrysler 135.00 per hour to test . Went back to junkyard , found same year and model of T/C as mine .Took that seat apart , pulled bladder and also the Seat Cccupancy Sensor , {had the same part number as mine ] . Replaced mine and cleared the code and luckly found a good one .No more airbag light , so far .My tool wll not clear the Stored code a think only a dealer can do that , but did clear the Active Code .The pan of the seat is held on by 4 bolts and will pull out from back rest .. The seat fabric un-buckles under the pan and will lift off . The seat cushion will lift out and then the bladder is held in place by 6 plastic pins . With one connection . Maybe this will help someone else .Chrysler did say that should be calibrated with weights . I think they set it to 45 lbs. or less will not set off the passenger airbag . I have not done this yet but should . Wanted to thank everone for your help . Mike

·
Registered
406 Posts
Good work. Thanks for the follow-up. Calibration may not be necessary. If needed someone will chime in.

Stored code will clear after 30-40 restarts.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts