The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2007 Chrysler Town and Country Limited. I took the factory stereo out to try to install an aftermarket FM modulator. Changed my mind because the antenna connection was for the old style antenna, and this vehicle has the new one. After I put everything back together, there is no radio at all, and when I turn on the key, the speedometer and tach both shoot up, then go back down, none of the idiot lights come on until after the engine is running, and the remote opener/lock does not work, without the key on. The doors will not open electrically until the key is on, with the engine running. And, I have to reset the air conditioning settings, because they all go back to high.

What did I do wrong? Yes, the wiring inside the center is just like it always was. I did cut a ground, but restored it with a splice.

Does anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
More information: I have removed the battery, and the battery tray, and turned the IPM over to thoroughly clean all electrical connections. After cleaning (just a little bit of corrosion around the positive post of the battery, btw), I put it all back together, and find no change. The key remote no longer does anything. Still no radio. speedo/tach go all the way over, then subside, and then idiot light come on, after the engine is started. Then idiot lights go off. Everything electrical works, with the engine running, but the air conditioner needs to be reset to lo, and the other controls have to be reset to my preferred settings. Is there some electrical circuit that is common to the locks, door opening, the alarm, the air conditioning, and the radio?

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,879 Posts
Rule of Thumb:

If you started to have problems "right after" you worked on some particular area, more likely than not, the "fix" would be on that area you previously worked on.

Remove the radio and see if you can find the problem. Maybe you shorted something out and now the problem is somewhere else but, chances are you caused that problem.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know all that, and I already removed the radio several times, but find nothing out of the ordinary inside that center area of the dash. Thanks for at least paying attention.

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,879 Posts
When you removed the battery tray, did you cleaned all the grounding wires underneath it? one by one? When you clean those grounding wires, you should also clean (scrape) the metal (frame)under all those wires, also the part of the nut that touches all those wires, then install all the wires, the biggest first, the smallest last, then the nut.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, again, Levy. I rechecked fuses, and found one that I had overlooked earlier to be blown. The IDO?....Now, I'm back in business. BTW, I found no wiring underneath the battery tray, and the only thing I saw under the IPM was dust and dirt (I live in a very dry climate).

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Did you do this radio work with the battery disconnected?
Have you tried removing the radio and checking if the problem conditions continue?

Everything you're having problems with have a common element: they all communicate with the BCM. '07s are probably CANBUS for the comm bus, not sure about that though.. but it sounds like something has messed up that part of the equation.

ETA: see that you blew the IOD fuse, and that will certainly cause issues!!

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
9,879 Posts
Thanks, again, Levy. I rechecked fuses, and found one that I had overlooked earlier to be blown. The IDO?....Now, I'm back in business. BTW, I found no wiring underneath the battery tray, and the only thing I saw under the IPM was dust and dirt (I live in a very dry climate).
Great!

..... Maybe you shorted something out and now the problem is somewhere else .......
So you shorted something out aftet all! :)

Glad you are back in business.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts