The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Thinking of throwing a set of BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 on the 2004 DGC. Kids are grown up and its mostly a workhorse now so I thought something more aggressive would help with camping, moving loads, dirt roads, winter mess etc. I cant find any data/reviews for AT Tires on minivans so I query my trusty forums here. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
24,414 Posts
Hi guys

Thinking of throwing a set of BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2 on the 2004 DGC. Kids are grown up and its mostly a workhorse now so I thought something more aggressive would help with camping, moving loads, dirt roads, winter mess etc. I cant find any data/reviews for AT Tires on minivans so I query my trusty forums here. Thoughts?
If they are a P-metric tire instead of a light truck LT-metric tire, I think the shoulders won't be as heavy and the sidewalls won't be as stiff (less plies), i.e. more like a normal tire, but with a noisy, grippy tread.

This should help you out: http://www.moderntiredealer.com/article/311494/lt-or-p-metric-tires-for-light-trucksuv-applications

Reactions: vanhammer

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome article Jeepman - Many Thanks - and confirms my theories as I tend to overload the van and would prefer a tire that can handle greater loads/abuse. As far as the shoulders go (its funny you mentioned it) - this is definitely where I need more tread. The shoulders on my last two sets (Yokohama OEMs and Bridgestone) wore clear down before the centers (which I have heard from other van owners), although I do tend to run the pressures a pound or two below spec which probably contributed to this. Most of the article addresses putting the P-metric tires on trucks for better MPG, noise reduction and ride comfort, etc while they do address the opposite situ which I have - putting a more robust tire on what is traditionally a passenger vehicle. Tire Rack has also told me these are acceptable. (FYI - these are specs: http://bit.ly/29okFdy)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am not familiar with that particular tire ,however I agree with Jeepman - LT tires would be too stiff. Tires like you used as an example would come in handy for the uses you have planned for your van, as well as the climate where you live.

Reactions: vanhammer

·
Registered
539 Posts
I use ours as a truck too. It currently has a load of t-posts and fencing materials. The standard yokohama tires are holding the weight fine, but the rear suspension is complaining.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not familiar with that particular tire ,however I agree with Jeepman - LT tires would be too stiff. Tires like you used as an example would come in handy for the uses you have planned for your van, as well as the climate where you live.
Thanks offgas - Tire Rack says the BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s will work on this minivan. I have used this type of tire on heavier vehicles before and run the pressure 1/2 pounds below spec which seems to compensate nicely for the extra stiffness. Its a trade-off I suppose but my research indicates this is a good tire for heavier loads on a wider range of surfaces which is more important to me. I found the other all-season touring tires I mentioned (Yokohama/Bridgestone) weren't sufficient for my needs.

·
Super Moderator
24,414 Posts

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,086 Posts
I use ours as a truck too. It currently has a load of t-posts and fencing materials. The standard yokohama tires are holding the weight fine, but the rear suspension is complaining.
I agree, I do a lot of heavy loading/trailering, never had tires problem, you will have suspension problems before you have tires problem.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I was looking into tires for my truck and I have it narrowed down to 2 . One would be the BFG ALL-TERRAIN T/A K02 and the other is the GOODYEAR WRANGLER ALL-TERRAIN with Kevlar , I haven't got a quote on pricing yet though .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was looking into tires for my truck and I have it narrowed down to 2 . One would be the BFG ALL-TERRAIN T/A K02 and the other is the GOODYEAR WRANGLER ALL-TERRAIN with Kevlar , I haven't got a quote on pricing yet though .
Thanks BM - Do you have any thoughts/data that could inform my decision to put the BFG AT T/As on the DGC van?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
it would really depend on how much off roading you do with the van , if it's a significant amount then they would help but if it's not that much the trade off to the ride and fuel mileage might not be worth it .

·
--UNKNOWN MEMBER--
12,086 Posts
it would really depend on how much off roading you do with the van , if it's a significant amount then they would help but if it's not that much the trade off to the ride and fuel mileage might not be worth it .
I believe it's not worth it regardless. I do a lot, a lot of heavy loading and heavy trailering plus, I live in a ranch. Wouldn't switch to All Terrain tires, at least not for heavy loading.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
To increase load carrying capacity of any type of tire, the tire pressure can be raised to the max as listed on the sidewall.

Note, the max internal load capacity of these vans ain't much more that 1100 to 1200 pounds, and that includes passengers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts