The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

61 - 75 of 75 Posts

·
Voted most useless member
1,850 Posts
Levys like Chuck Norris. Emphysema? Pffff. Try owning a minivan. THATS HARD CORE! :) Very NICE GIF btw!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Sorry to resurrect the old thread -- I just had to replace the decoupler pulley on my '06 (required pulling the alternator). Now I am concerned about the potential for the bracket breaking. The service manual says to install the top bolt first, then the bottom ones. No particular torque sequence is given..

So, I threaded all three bolts finger tight, then torqued the upper bolt, followed by the lower bolt, and then the "hard to see bolt". All torqued to 40 ft/lb with a torque wrench.

Is there anything else I need to do?

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
... So, I threaded all three bolts finger tight, then torqued the upper bolt, followed by the lower bolt, and then the "hard to see bolt". All torqued to 40 ft/lb with a torque wrench
Is there anything else I need to do?
The problems posted in this thread are all most likely due to either leaving a bolt loose, or over-torquing one or more of them, so you are good to go!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2007 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8L

This just happened to me yesterday. 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan 75,000 miles. Replaced serpentine belt 3 years ago. Alternator bracket broke off, lots power steering, was going slow when it happened. No major items changed on it. First owner only put 7k miles on it. Been in my family since 2008. Ran over some water and a belt started squeaking. Gurgling sound like boiling water under hood. Drove approx 10 miles or less and parked it. 30 min later I left to go pick up my child. Made one left turn and sudden sound of belt or something flapping and hitting the hood from underneath. Gurgling sound of boiling water again. Knew this was not good, so I made another left hand turn to return to home. When I made the final left hand turn, power steering went out and it was a chore to get it to a parked position. Looking under hood, serpentine belt is frayed on the under side, completely off of correct position and the alternator bracket is broken off of the timing cover plate, just like the pictures on this thread.

Any assistance as to how to fix this correctly and order/find appropriate parts. Husband will likely tackle this problem, but with under 80k miles, I would rather this not happen again.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lewis2007

I don't have any advice on this as I have not had the pleasure as of yet, but you are in the right place.

I remember a member recently was going about a repair of this nature for a neighbor. Perhaps he will reply. If you look down the list a few pages , perhaps you may find it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Pattern failure.

Hey guys, this is a MAJOR pattern failure with this vehicle. I am at an independent garage and I have seen at least a half dozen like this or very similar. Yes, Dodge knows it had a problem. Nope, no recall for it yet I can find.
Mines did this on Thursday in the driveway. I have a 2004 Grand Caravan. Like I couldn't believe it. My belt is still intact but the alternator is broken off. Like with! I never knew it was a common problem. Dodge need to to start doing better with their designs. What if I was driving with my kiddos in the car or something crazy. Dodge quoted me $2900 to fix it. And 156.562 miles on it.

·
3rd gen > all others
2,306 Posts
It is a big deal to fix. I recently saw a nice T&C in the junkyard because of this very thing. The bottom bolts get loose or are forgotten when the alternator is replaced, and stress breaks the aluminum timing cover (which also holds the alternator). I think the part is also either very hard or expensive to get new, or you have to get a good, used one. Removal requires removing the motor mount, draining the antifreeze and oil, removing all accessories from the engine (loose, but can keep some in place with bungee cords), pulling the crank pulley, removing/replacing(?) the water pump and dropping the oil pan. I had to basically do this twice on my 3rd gen van because of leaking water port O-rings in the timing cover, and found out you want to use a new MOPAR timing cover gasket set (felpro used wrong size o-rings). Fel-pro oil pan gasket is the only gasket non-OEM that I'll recommend for this job.

Yeah, an independent shop will likely have a cheaper rate and possibly more experience in this repair (depends on the tech's experience). You may want to request or furnish the OEM parts yourself to make sure some cheap parts aren't installed instead, that could lead to another failure later. I did my own repairs myself in a driveway because I don't trust other people to work on my cars.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Regarding 3.3 and 3.8L timing covers, e.g: '04 part # 5019333AF & '07 part # 5137544AE ...
  1. NEW timing covers:
    • A) '04 part# 5019333AF: I'd call them, their website claims 1 in stock for $427... https://coppusmotors.moparestores.com/2004-chrysler-town_country-ex-gas_3.8_v_6-transaxle_automatic_4-engine-crankshaft_bearings-front_cover_5019333AF-item/
    • B) I'd reach out to EngineQuest @ https://www.aamidwest.com/enginequest/timing-covers/#lightbox/0/to see what they have to offer for your engine
      • I checked their 2017 online catalog and the only 1 listed was the TC202R which is a 3.3L & 3.8L remanufactured part, with narrow range of year compatibility ( A) 3.3L='90-'97; B) 3.8L='94-'00 )
        • TC202R CHRYSLER Caravan, Dynasty, Imperial, New Yorker, Town & County, Voyager 201 3.3 90-97 4448877 RM 308-316 TC202R
        • TC202R CHRYSLER Caravan, Dynasty, Imperial, New Yorker, Town & County, Voyager 231 3.8 94-00 4448877 RM 308-316 TC202R
    • History:
      • In 2017, my son in law purchased a timing cover for his Jeep Wrangler 2007 3.8L from EngineQuest.
      • Price was $600ish, compared to Mopar's $1100ish
      • I installed it. Good quality. Exact fit. Good results.
      • The new timing cover included a pre-installled oil pump and the relief valve/spring.
  2. USED timing covers:
    • Oil pump housing and the oil pump components
      • Note that the oil pump's housing is machined into the ALL aluminum timing cover
      • Proper oil pump inspection requires removal of the oil pump cover and the oil pump components
      • Check for 1) scratches and 2) clearances which will impact the oil pressure produced by the pump
      • I'd recommend that you also purchase new Melling oil pump internals, e.g. from Rock Auto
    • History:

·
3rd gen > all others
2,306 Posts
^^In above post, keep in mind the new cover #TC202R is for the 3RD GEN VAN ONLY. Engine changed a lot on the front accessories for 4th gen, so no way would a 3rd gen cover fit a 4th gen engine in a 4th gen van.

There were also changes made to the cam sprocket/timing gears during the 4th gen run, and the timing cover may have changed as well. There was a stickied article from an engine remanufacturer document about all of the changes to these engines, that will outline the changes during which years. Easiest to get a matching year cover for your van.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts