On the way home this morning I started smelling a burning electrical smell (seems to be intermittent). I was wondering if it was the blower motor. But upon further inspection the wiring to the resistor and blower motor seems to be intact. Getting voltage to the motor through all selections of the fan switch. Then I turned to the alternator. Seems to be hot to the touch(which in my years of diesel tech was a bad sign). So I got the multimeter out and did some testing open voltage on the battery was 12.7 which is within spec. At start up the alternator was 14.1 which is within spec and with all accessories running at 2000 rpm was between 14.2 and 14.3 which is within spec. The worrisome part I read was that the regulator is built into the PCM(which to me seems odd). There is some discoloration on the alternator case that would lead me to believe it is overheating. Any thoughts? I don't want to drop $180 to $300 for an alternator and find out it's not the problem but the pcm instead.