The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2012 dodge caravan am/fm band stopped working but Sirius is working and so is aux output any suggestions at what I need to do . I already tried disconnecting battery and also checked fuses they seem to be ok

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I had the opposite problem when I got my van... the Sirius did not work but AM/FM did. I had to get a new (used) radio.

·
Registered
55 Posts
When you click on AM or FM does it do anything? what model radio (its in the lower right corner of the front) if you go to the system information tab you should see the application version... what version do you have?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
welcome to the forum , it sounds to me like there's a problem with the radio antenna , the Sirius has it's own antenna , maybe a wire has come loose ?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Here is the back of the head unit (this is a 2014, so yours may be different). on the right side are 2 snap connectors. the WHITE one is for the AM/FM antenna. (The yellowish is the Sat ) This wire runs behind the driver side lower dash and has a connector there (could not find a photo) before it exits behind the right front quarter panel and up to the antenna mast. If by not working, you mean no reception then any connection along the path to the antenna could be your problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. When you select AM/FM it selects the radio stations but no sound, not even static. About every 20th time I select the AM/FM button you can hear the radio for a few minutes then it goes away. I removed the radio and reconnected all the connections and blew dry aerosol air in the cavity of the radio... no change. Any ideas?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad solder joint somewhere . You can try and pull the radio apart and hit all the joints, otherwise you are probably looking at a new or used radio .

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2011 caravan has same problem. CD player works, but the am/fm radio is intermittent. I found that when I removed the radio and wiggled the white antennae wire, that was the culprit. The white plug sticks out too far so it hits the air supply to the windshield. In the photo above with the white and red (Sirius) ant plugs, their white has a 90 degree turn. Mine doesn't, so it sticks out too far (to the van's front) and has been compromised by rubbing on the plastic ducting. I need to go in and resoder the broken joint perhaps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
chrysler 200 antenna wire

Lost am/fm radio, satalite works fine, am/fm antenna wire damaged, need to get a replacement from back of radio to right front kick panel, can anyone advise were to get it, chrysler tries to tell me it is part of the wiring harness and want rediculous money :(

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
My 2012 RES radio with satellite and blue tooth, the radio cuts off, every other function works. Check antenna connections which are OK. It seems like it's overheating. Does anybody know if the radio's cooling fan runs all the time, or only when hot? I've pulled the radio out when it stops without turning it off. Its awfully warm inside the cavity despite heat directed to floor vents, the radio's fan does not run. Just noticed 11,000+ views, must be a common problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. When you select AM/FM it selects the radio stations but no sound, not even static. About every 20th time I select the AM/FM button you can hear the radio for a few minutes then it goes away. I removed the radio and reconnected all the connections and blew dry aerosol air in the cavity of the radio... no change. Any ideas?
For most problems described in this thread - no FM/Am radio. The problem probably lies in in the auxiliary plug in. This disconnects the radio when using the plug in. My radio suffered from this, sometimes working and sometimes not, sometimes the radio playing with my cell phone plugged in. It seems the plug in is not very robust.

Take the radio out and have a good technician fix the component or replace it

·
Registered
1 Posts
There's obviously a problem

I am having the same issue with my 2012 Caravan. One day, the FM radio mysteriously stopped working. AM as well. I then watched the video on how to removed the stereo and found that the Antenna was firmly in place. The,, even more mysteriously, it started working again. Then, it stopped again.

So far, it has worked for a few days now, but at any time it could stop. I suspect it's an internal tuner issue, as some others have pointed out.

I was going to try to find a used unit at the junk yard, but there is the anti-theft function as well as the Sirius satellite connection that needs to be considered when doing this.

However, with 319,000+ miles, it's getting close to being replaced anyway.

Dealing in electronics, I put this one on the manufacturers...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found the fix for the radio antenna loose solder joint, open the radio, once out you need to remove the front
control face, then remove the 4 screws that hold the board down, then remove the wire cable to finally free the board for work. , follow the center antenna trace and solder the traces that follow, you'll need a real small solder tip to resolder the 10 components that follow. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
2012's had straight antennae plug to rear of unit, with not enough clearance when radio is pushed all the way into mounting hole, stressing antennae socket connection on circuit board. Subsequent years, the antennae lead plug is 90 degree type, which solves the clearance issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This was/is my case... same symptoms. Just out of coincidence, had the FM on when pulling the radio out and when moving the antenna connector up when trying to disconnect it, the radio came on. Let it go and radio went silent again. So slight upward pressure on the connector and it worked again. I used a couple small tie wraps to hold the upward pressure and slid it back in and all was well for about a month. I tightened the tie wraps a little more and good again.. but failed a week later.. The next cinch snapped the connector. Pic is what I have now. I'll update here if I can repair it simply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2008 Chrysler Sebring retractable hardtop and I can only get am when I push on the screen for FM or satalight nothing happens. Also sometimes my truck will not close when putting the top up or down. I have tried pushing the switch a number of times and eventually it will close not sure if it is the switch or something else.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Still trying to get it figured out. Answers anyone ?? Also the passenger door lock will not work with the remote although the drivers door lock will and the trunk wont open as well with remote

·
Registered
2009 GCV SE
505 Posts
Still trying to get it figured out. Answers anyone ?? Also the passenger door lock will not work with the remote although the drivers door lock will and the trunk wont open as well with remote
The door lock issue could be a bad door module in the door that the lock isn't working. The AM working, FM and SAT not working could either be a software issue, or a connection/electrical issue.

You can start by disconnecting the battery and touching the positive lead to the negative lead, this will reset all systems to their factory default settings, clearing all trouble codes and stored codes.

If that doesn't work, pull out the radio and wiggle the connectors on the back. It's odd AM will work and FM will not, shaking the wires, pushing them in and out gently will show if it's an issue with the wiring. If you follow the 2 white wires (for AM/FM and SAT) they will lead to 2 identical connectors, likely behind the glove box. Try wiggling those and see if that changes.

If the above doesn't work, then it could be 1) the antenna, 2) the radio has a bad connection somewhere, or 3) the radio needs a new database (I assume you have a REN or an RBZ radio)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just fixed my radio!

We had CD and auxiliary input, but no AM/FM. Wiggling connectors around would make it cut in and out, but mostly there was no radio.

The problem was a poor ground connection between the radio chassis and the printed circuit board (pcb). It was located at the mounting screw that is closest to the antenna connector. Here's how I fixed it. Sorry about the lack of my own pictures. I didn't think about taking pictures to document the process until I was done.

Disconnect the antenna wire and all wiring harness connectors and remove the radio.

Put a large flat head screwdriver in the slot indicated by the red oval and twist. The bottom cover of the radio will start to come off. There is another slot at the other side of the back of the radio. Twist that one also to loosen the other side of the cover. You should be able to pry the cover up and off. Note: If it sticks, there are two rectangular pieces of foam rubber that are stuck to the inside of the bottom cover. They may also be sticking to the pcb a little. Mine took a little effort to peel off the pcb.

After removing the bottom cover, turn the radio upside down so that the pcb facing up. You should see that there are 4 small Torx head screws holding the pcb to the radio chassis (at least on my radio). Remove at least the three closest to the rear panel of the radio. The one near the front may be difficult to access, and I didn't need to remove it.

Gently lift the corner of the pcb nearest the antenna connector and peek underneath. Look at the mounting screw area. What I saw was a white powder oxide (kind of like what you might see on battery terminals).

Gently wipe this away and install a small internal tooth star washer between the pcb and the chassis mounting screw hole. It may be a little tricky getting it in there without lifting up on the pcb too much.

Reinstall the pcb mounting screws. Tighten snugly, but be careful not to over tighten.

Put the bottom cover back on again by aligning the tabs that are near the front of the radio and then rocking it down into place and snapping it into position.

Plug in all connectors and push the radio back into position. You'll probably want to test it before putting the screws in. Mine works great and doesn't cut out any more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts