The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a 2012 or 2013 GC or TC with 17" wheels it can be equipped with a HD brake package.
From what I have seen and heard all of the 2014 vans have 17's with the HD's.

This is how you can tell what brake package a van has even when it's out rolling down the road. If it has Alum wheels that is.
On the HD caliper you will see 2 cut outs and a soild center casting.

On the light duty it only has one cut out and it is in the center.

I hope this info comes in handy to some of you.

Registered
Thanks for posting this. This will help many. This should be a sticky.

Just a mere suggestion, why not add Ben S, upgrade to HD brakes thread? You may be able to help more people that way.

Registered
THere is a huge difference between the 09 brakes and the 12 heavy duty brakes. Much more stable and sure stopping. On a long drive absolutely no wobble in heavy braking what so ever. On my 09 even with brand new discs, I had a wobble when braking after a 45 mile trips.

Registered
Just took a look at my 2013 T/C. It has the heavy duty. Thanks.

Registered
Just wondering, what dictated if the van got the HD brakes? Was it the trim or options like tow package?

Thanks for the info!

Registered
My 2013 SXT Plus has the HD front brakes, and LD rear brakes.
My 2013 built Mar 2013 is the same, HD Front, LD Rear. Guess not much different that Disks in the front and Drums in the rear, front does most of the work.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'd say build date
From what I can find if you have 17" wheels and it was built on or after 3/24/12 you will have the HD's. Some of the 2013 still had 16" wheels and therefore they by default got the light duty.

My 2013 SXT Plus has the HD front brakes, and LD rear brakes.
If you have the HD fronts with the dual pistons and 13" rotors (330mm) it will have the larger 12.9" (328mm) rear rotors and calipers too.
The light duty rotors are 11.8" (302mm) on the front and 12"(305mm) on the rear. Yes the rear rotors are larger diameter than the fronts on the light duty setup but the rears are not vented.
A light duty rear caliper.

A Heavy Duty rear caliper.

As you can see the HD has a smaller cutout in the top of it.
I'm looking for some pictures of the outside of the rear calipers to see if there is any easy way to identify them at a glance thru the wheels.

Registered
Thanks for the info!! My build date was May 2013 so hopefully I have HD all around. I'll have to look next time I have the wheels off.

Registered
From what I can find if you have 17" wheels and it was built on or after 3/24/12 you will have the HD's. Some of the 2013 still had 16" wheels and therefore they by default got the light duty.

If you have the HD fronts with the dual pistons and 13" rotors (330mm) it will have the larger 12.9" (328mm) rear rotors and calipers too.
The light duty rotors are 11.8" (302mm) on the front and 12"(305mm) on the rear. Yes the rear rotors are larger diameter than the fronts on the light duty setup but the rears are not vented.
I'm looking for some pictures of the outside of the rear calipers to see if there is any easy way to identify them at a glance thru the wheels.
Just looked for the single piston calipers when I looked at my rears and assumed it was the LD because of the single piston. Learn something new all the time.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the info!! My build date was May 2013 so hopefully I have HD all around. I'll have to look next time I have the wheels off.
There had better be HD's all the way around! It's my understanding thats the only way this package comes. All of the best stuff...:cool:

Registered
There had better be HD's all the way around! It's my understanding thats the only way this package comes. All of the best stuff...:cool:
I agree!

Registered
now im wondering if there are brake packages out there with hd fronts, ld rears!...when I picked up my 12 t and c, another gentleman was taking delivery of his 12 t and c, another black one, but with the tow package....it had the 16" wheels!...would have thought with the tow package, 17's and hd brakes would come standard...

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
now im wondering if there are brake packages out there with hd fronts, ld rears!...when I picked up my 12 t and c, another gentleman was taking delivery of his 12 t and c, another black one, but with the tow package....it had the 16" wheels!...would have thought with the tow package, 17's and hd brakes would come standard...
His may have been built before Chrysler started using these HD parts? As for 16" wheel and a tow package:confused: Poor guy :(

Reactions: friendlyr

Registered

A Heavy Duty rear caliper.

Thanks, yes I know for sure my fronts are HD, and after reading your post I have the HD rears too. An easy way to tell with the wheels on is look for the square indents on the top corners of the calipers like pictured here.

Registered
17" wheels/HD brakes are finally standard on the 2014 Ram C/V Tradesman. I guess they finally ran out of 16" wheels/tires or realized that maybe a commercial vehicle should have HD brakes? The 2008's - 2013's at work all have 16" wheels.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts