The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 grand voyager, 185k miles. I posted before about a leak, well.. I keep up on the fluid leak and keep the level where it should be but tonight I come to a stop with the tranny in D (od) and when it comes to a complete stop it made the little shift noise like 3 or 4 times then the engine almost died. After that it was in limp mode (only 2nd and reverse), I drove it for another quarter mile, shut it off for a minute and it was back in normal mode again. Fluid, perfect. IDEAS???

Some one said autozone could scan the TCM to retreive codes for free? :help_wsig

·
youtube.com/sideburns2009
2,926 Posts
1990 grand voyager, 185k miles. I posted before about a leak, well.. I keep up on the fluid leak and keep the level where it should be but tonight I come to a stop with the tranny in D (od) and when it comes to a complete stop it made the little shift noise like 3 or 4 times then the engine almost died. After that it was in limp mode (only 2nd and reverse), I drove it for another quarter mile, shut it off for a minute and it was back in normal mode again. Fluid, perfect. IDEAS???

Some one said autozone could scan the TCM to retreive codes for free? :help_wsig
They can't scan the TCM only the PCM, and thats only for OBD-II. The TCM requires a special scantool. A transmission shop would have one.

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
Out of those 185k miles, how many are on the trans? Is it original?

·
1000 Post Club Member
2,494 Posts
Sounds like a control problem. I had a 90 GV for 15 yrs, 4 trannies, sounds like you have a very good one, if that is the original. On one that old, I don't know what you will get from the scanner, but some simple stuff: Is your battery in good shape? Low voltage could be a problem, Is your radiator trans. oil cooler clear, backflush with fluid to make sure you can pass sufficient fluid if you are not sure, or better yet, bypass with an aftermarket cooler. Remove the battery cable for a while and reattach to clear memory and start over. Until you figure it out, I would not drive it hard or long, you may have a fixable situation right now.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts