The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Caravan/ Town & Country
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it’s really not that much we need to transport but when we are parked i need to setup weather and camera equipment plus me so I can film - I don’t need to drive with that much weight just parked weight

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
500 lbs is a lot of weight. Imagine two big guys (or 4 skinny guys) on top of your roof with fiddles.

From my 2016's Owner's Manual:
"The crossbars and side rails are designed to carry weight on vehicles equipped with a luggage rack. The load must not exceed 150 lbs (68 kg), and should be uniformly distributed over the luggage rack crossbars."

That's a skinny guy with bagpipes. :)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Any options out there?
That's really pushing the envelope. Driving with that load would be unacceptable...and I'm kinda known for not always following the 'acceptable'. I've probably had 200+ lbs on the factory rack a few times without any ill effect but if you need 500 (while parked) I think you're looking for some form of firmly mounted through-roof bolted system, rather than the factory stock system with its inherent flex. There are certainly ladder/roof rack systems out there for the caravan, I've seen more than a few on commercial vehicles and you could likely adapt a platform from that.
Without outrigger stabilizers it will be rolling with every move you make up there, keep that in mind, eh?

·
fix it if you can
5,751 Posts
Any options out there?
No:
'05 Owner's Manusl said:
ROOF LUGGAGE RACK — IF EQUIPPED The crossbars and siderails are designed to carry the weight on vehicles equipped with a luggage rack. The load must not exceed 68 kg (150 lbs), and should be uniformly distributed over the luggage rack crossbars.
Find a sturdy SUV "basket" rack, that might get you in ~300 range. The roof is not designed to carry that kind of weight (definitely not with dynamic forces that would generate), you might get away with it when parked but it's really pushing the limits (the entire van payload is what? 1200 lbs)

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
If you are standing still, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure to distribute the load, and remember, the roof is made to support the van when it is upside down. You might bend some of the roof's sheet metal, but the main roof supports should be fine.

Just don't drive over say 10 or 20 mph! Just don't drive over say 10 or 20 mph! And if you drive faster, just don't turn!!

·
fix it if you can
5,751 Posts
the roof is made to support the van when it is upside down
No, it's designed to prevent total passenger compartment collapse and it's only designed for that load for one incident only...
factory rack is not secured at the pillars - you risk deforming and compromising roof structure integrity (which may cause it to crush in the event of impact).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yesterday, my wife and I were driving around in the Everglades exploring. We spotted two guys (with beers natch) standing on the roof of their pick up truck apparently trying to get a better view of something out in the sawgrass prairie. If that roof wasn't already caved in it surely is now.

We also witnessed a bunch of drunken "rural folks" drive their airboats up the side of a 20 foot high levee and then go swimming in the canal on the other side which most certainly has gators in it. Good times...

Sky Cloud Plant Natural landscape People in nature

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah, I have no idea who actually owned the truck. Regardless, they weren't doing the roof panel any favors. I'm sure it no longer has the convex contour it left the factory with.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you were careful about where the loads transferred, I would not be worried about 500# while parked. I have put similar or heavier loads on other cars for short trips without any damage. Just lots of care in distributing the load well, and not having point loads.

But... Why not make legs that you could attach and transfer the load to the ground? If you had crossbars with a socket on them (square tubing?) then when you park, slide in the legs, and adjust to ground height. Heck, put a ladder on the legs and make it extra snazzy.

·
Super Moderator
30,167 Posts
it’s really not that much we need to transport but when we are parked i need to setup weather and camera equipment plus me so I can film - I don’t need to drive with that much weight just parked weight
Carry staging on your roof racks, then erect it on site, since you aren't going anywwhere.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Atoman, we're talking about a static load. A rollover accident imparts a dynamic load to the roof, which can be many times the weight of the van, and the roof still must be strong enough to prevent collapse.

As I said, the roof is made up of outer sheet metal, which bends, and inner support beams underneath the sheet metal, which are not supposed to bend.

·
fix it if you can
5,751 Posts
Marvin, you're welcome to load as many bulls or cows as you like on your roof...
you might get away with it when parked but it's really pushing the limits
We're not talking about new metal here, the factory roof seams crack and leak so there's likely corrosion developing at welds and contact points.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Any options out there?
I see the Sprinter vans and older mini van like vehicles building platforms up there they don’t care about anything like what I am seeing here.. Dinner Party of 2 on the roofer in SXT seating area in 15’min

Sprinters make since because of extra sheet metal these i don’t know.

thinking cage type system wielded into pilar’s of van would be the only option

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I see the Sprinter vans and older mini van like vehicles building platforms up there they don’t care about anything like what I am seeing here.. Dinner Party of 2 on the roofer in SXT seating area in 15’min

Sprinters make since because of extra sheet metal these i don’t know.

thinking cage type system wielded into pilar’s of van would be the only option
Guys when they put a high roof on they cut the old off and install it over top where do they mount too.. those high tops have to be more then 600 lbs just a though hmmm

·
Registered
354 Posts
As far as I know, the high top or raised roof sprinter type vans of today are built that way from the factory. No roof removal required. However, back in the '80s and '90s when conversion vans were popular the conversion companies would cut the roof off and add a raised roof which was made of fiberglass for both weight and ease of manufacture considerations. Usually they were just attached with lots off drywall type screws. I've never seen one after a roll over but I'm sure they didn't hold up very well.

Man, those older conversion vans could have some really horrendous modifications. Wiring for lights and accessories with either all the same color wire or just speaker wire or lamp cord. Interior trim panels that required removal of a dozen other panels for access. My favorite was long screws run through the floor into the top of the plastic fuel tank. More than one time I've seen where after removing the straps and lowering the jack the fuel tank remained securely attached by those screws to the floor of the van.

In many cases it is better that they don't make things like they used to.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts