The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Factory summer tires on my 2017 DGC SXT will soon need replacing - probably this spring. Factory size is 225-65R-17. I love my winter tires @ 225-60R-17 but tend to over rev engine when going above 65 MPH. For summer tires, I'm thinking of wider tires - changing to 235-60R-17. Yes. Speedo will show 60 mph but real ground speed will be 59. Anyone using 235s / 60R-17? BTW: 235/60-17 is same tire size as Toyota mini-van, Are they better / smother ride over the rough country roads? Would you pick this alternate tire size size again?

·
Super Moderator
29,083 Posts

WIDE OR NARROW TIRES? HERE’S HOW YOUR CHOICE WILL AFFECT DRIVING

Who is going to notice the difference 0.39" in width or 0.21" in height makes? to your wallet?

18" rims would make a difference in looks (+), handling (+/-), comfort (-) and resistance to pot hole damage (-).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really don't care about the speed-o variance of .8 MPH. re: As per tire comparison calculator, MPH speed is 60 MPH and real (actual) ground speed is 59.2 MPH. I found the 6th gear in the SXT a little too tall anyway.... Especially when loaded down with cargo / towing a trailer.

When summer months rubber needs changing, think I will go with the wider 235-60R-17. Thanks for your sanity check feedback....

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,272 Posts
My 245/65s required programming, but that little difference will barely change anything.

Ride comfort will always be better with a bigger tire. Taller tires have more room to compress and wider tires spread the load out. I found the 235s that the previous owner had installed were still a bit rough. 245s feel perfect to me, like my 16" wheels did.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I really don't care about the speed-o variance of .8 MPH. re: As per tire comparison calculator, MPH speed is 60 MPH and real (actual) ground speed is 59.2 MPH. I found the 6th gear in the SXT a little too tall anyway.... Especially when loaded down with cargo / towing a trailer.

When summer months rubber needs changing, think I will go with the wider 235-60R-17. Thanks for your sanity check feedback....
I hate to rain on your parade, but the difference might not be what you think it is. You need to check the specs of the individual tires you are considering. Section width is not tread width, and different tires with the same section width can have considerable differences in tread width. Same applies to outside diameter, although there tends to be less variation. And make sure the load range is correct (wider, lower profile tires tend to have a lower load range).

Also don't forget the difference between indicated and actual speed isn't constant. As the tire wears, its diameter becomes smaller and the differential between indicated and actual increases.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,112 Posts
Our 2011 Toyota Sienna came with that size tires. Got a few blocks away from the dealership we bought it from (used) and hit a loose manhole cover. Blew out the tire (pinched it, went flat). They seem to wear out the edges on these vans. The Sienna, and 5th gen Chrysler vans are heavy, and the tires are barely adequate. I actually went up to 235/65R17 for a little more lift and load capacity. Don't seem to be wearing as bad, but maybe keeping them inflated to a higher pressure helps.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Road Ripper: Many thanks for your "real world" usage experience. This is the info I wanted. I agree. Our 5th gen DGC/T&C vans are heavy weight and to me, they could also use more tire (more road surface contact) under them. Especially in my hilly regions - where I'm always spinning its front wheels (pulling away from lights and/or towing things). Thanks for your "real world" usage feedback....

·
Registered
541 Posts
Road Ripper: Our 5th sen DGC/T&C vans are heavy weight and to me, they could also use more tire (more road contact) under them.
That is not actually true. Going to a wider tire does not increase the contact area. The contact area becomes wider but shorter, and the contact area itself is exactly the same as the narrower tire. Contact area is determined by weight and inflation. Road & Track magazine did a detailed article on this many years ago.

A wider contact does improve lateral grip, but at the expense of traction (particularly hydroplaning) and braking.

·
Super Moderator
29,083 Posts
More to OE tires than meets the eye. They are especially made to suit the vehicle by the tire manufacturers in concert with the vehicle manufacturers, and will differ somewhat from what's available afterward.
Comparing a 4th Generation to a 5th Generation for tires is not apples to apples nor real world.
A wider tire will redistribute the frictional forces, not necessarily change the result. Less spinning when wet or dry? Actual contact area re inflation? Certainly a change in free water or snow. Less spinning is more dependent on diameter.
Wider tires can be squirrelly on grooved surfaces.
For better dry traction and fuel mileage, get half worn tires.
Follow the science. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
For my 2012 DGC R/T, I have a set of 18” wheels and 235 55 R 18 tires for the warmer months and put the stock 17” wheels with snow tires in the winter for the snow. That 18” wheel/tire combination has the same rolling diameter as the stock 17” size, and fit with no rubbing.

Ride is a little harsher but steering response and handling is better with the 18” wheels/tires. No hydroplaning issues, I assume because they aren’t much wider.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had Michelin Primacy MXV4s size 235/60-17 installed at 55,000 mi. Two years and 15,000 miles later, (not much driving during COVID) they are very satisfactory. They are much less prone to spinning than the factory Michelin EnergySaver A/Ss. Driving with my GPS running, recalibration of the speedometer was not needed.

·
3rd gen > all others
4,112 Posts
"Comparing a 4th Generation to a 5th Generation for tires is not apples to apples nor real world." :unsure:

My particular 4th gen van is as heavy, or heavier, than the 5th gen vans. The 3rd gen Sienna is also as heavy. Weight-wise it is a straight across comparison. Weight distribution and suspension design do differ though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I put 235/65R16s on mine, as opposed to the factory 225/60R16s. Costco almost refused to do it until I pointed out that the 235/60R17 size is larger.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I put 235/65R16s on mine, as opposed to the factory 225/60R16s. Costco almost refused to do it until I pointed out that the 235/60R17 size is larger.
More places are refusing to put on anything but the OE size. Fewer shops draw a line in the sand on load rating, which is more important than size.

I had to fight with the shop to put 225/70-15 on my old Caprice which had the OE size 205/75. I had to show them 225/70 was a factory option AND pointed out the load rating on the new 205/75 was lower than what came from the factory (I still have a original as a spare) and lower than the 225/70 rating. This was a tire-only shop, and the second one I went to. The first one plain refused to do anything but OE size and wouldn't even discuss it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Looking at reviews on Tire Rack it seems that tire characteristics vary by brand and price. In other words if you install a tire size other than the 225/65/R17 you may not get the performance benefits that you believe will come with size change. Only one way to find out.

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Grand Caravan
4,272 Posts
Yah, size is only one factor in performance. Tread wear, grip, compound stiffness, etc. Lots of factors if you're looking for the "perfect" tire.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update:

Since my above posts, I finally had time to change tire (rubber) size. Below is something I posted on a different thread. Outcome: Very happy I upgraded to smaller diameter size tire - with larger load weight ratings as well. Especially for my hauling & towing needs.

Yes. Speedo is slight off (with the 1.45% smaller size rubber). Dash Gauge speed shows 65 MPH (as per engine RPMs). Dash GPS ground speed in reality shows 63 MPH. Variance is not worth worrying about - especially since we tend to drive slightly above speed limit anyway. Best part of all, it's new slightly higher engine RPM creates transmission's less "lugging" and less down shifting on the hills - which sucks life expectancy out of the transmission...

For my 2017 DGC SXT that I use for long haul and cargo towing / trailering, it uses factory 17" black steel 6.5" side rims, factory 17" chrome / plastic hub caps and 235/60R17 Yokohama AVID ASCEND 103H (which are XL rated) rubber. Yes. 1.45% smaller size than factory rubber 225/65/17 size. NO pics but visually, one cannot see a difference (on the outside).... 235/60R17 is better than factory for my usage....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts