The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan with disc brakes at all four corners. Is the dealer the only source for the stainless steel shims that snap into the caliper bracket? These clips providiea smooth surface on which the brake pad ears travel. They are also called pad clips. They are Mopar part number 5019985AB

·
Registered
74 Posts
More commonly known as abutment clips. Typically come with new sets of pads. The best deal on Mopar parts might be eBay...about $14.50 for a set of four (one wheel)

·
Registered
74 Posts
NOTE The Mopar parts guide shows part number 05019985AB is only for brake system BRB, which is front disc, rear drum. The Rock Auto site shows basically the same thing...abutment clips are for the disc/drum setup. I'm not saying what you have, just relating what the catalogs say:

Reactions: FabricGATOR

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I entered my van's VIN on moparpartsgiant.com and came up with part no. 5019985AB. For disc in front/disc in back vehicles, it is looking like this may be a MOPAR only part. Local auto parts stores such as NAPA and O'Reilly sell these types of clips for the disc front/drum back equipped vehicles. They do not fit my caliper bracket (I inadvertently purchased a set and tried). I wish they were available from a parts store. Eight clips from O'Reilly for the front disc/rear drum vans, $6.50; clips for my front disc/rear disc van from MOPAR, $28.

Installed new pads and rotors a couple of days ago. I did lubricate the pad ears and the bracket channels with Permatex Ceramic Extreme Brake Parts Lubricant, so hopefully that will help out until I get the clips.

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
You don't need the shims. In fact fits can be too tight with the shims making grinding/filing necessary. They help keep down the noise. They can be cleaned up and reused, being stainless steel.
OARDS.com has an article about pads with/without shims.
Shims on a 4th Generation?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My brakes are noise-free without the shims. The brake kit for my brakes included the caliper rubber pin bushings and the large caliper retaining clips. Maybe shims are not necessary on this caliper? I did clean up the pad travel area on the bracket with a wire wheel before installing the new pads.

Is noise reduction the only function for shims?

·
3rd gen > all others
2,949 Posts
Yup, no clips used. I just sand/file the bracket surfaces smooth where the pads slide, check the fit of the new pads and file accordingly, and apply high temp synthetic brake grease to those areas. Clean and lube the slider pins with sylglide
(synthetic silicone grease) and everything moves freely.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, no clips used. I just sand/file the bracket surfaces smooth where the pads slide, check the fit of the new pads and file accordingly, and apply high temp synthetic brake grease to those areas. Clean and lube the slider pins with sylglide
(synthetic silicone grease) and everything moves freely.
Well, I guess I am OK then because that is pretty much what I did. I had been advised the smooth surface of the clips allow for smooth travel of the pads and prevent binding and premature brake wear, that's why I went on the hunt for the clips.

Do you reapply the brake grease in between brake pad changes?

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
Doesn't hurt to service your brakes once or twice a year, depending on driving. Keeps you in touch with what's happening and gets the brakes working like new again.
I use Permatex high temperature copper anti-seize as a lube except for the pins (rubber) where I use a Kleen-Flo EZE Slide synthetic brake lube.

Another anti-seize product to consider:
3M 08945 Copper Anti Seize Brake Lube

The anti-seize seems to hang around longer that regular brake lubes. That's the reason i use it.

The shims also help prevent notching of the caliper bracket and, if properly lubricated, provide a little smoother operation (not that you would notice it though).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Never seen abutment clips on a disc/disc setup. Not in the parts manual, either:

Reactions: Jeepman

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
Never seen abutment clips on a disc/disc setup. Not in the parts manual, either:
View attachment 59814
Me neither, but my 5th Generation has them. The caliper bracket, including shims, also comes with the caliper, never did on 4th Gen.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks for that information and diagram. I guess that is why there are no retainer clips in the hardware kit for my vehicle. How do you access a parts manual? If it is a public site, it would have saved me a lot of time.

A search on moparpartsgiant.com using my VIN number produced the diagram below, showing the retainer clips. Unless I am missing the info, there is no differentiation indicated between four-wheel disc and front disc/rear drum vehicles on this page. That's what put me on the search for the clips. I will just do as Jeepman suggested and service the brakes periodically to make sure the pads are moving. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
There are two brake systems used on the 4th Generation:
4 wheel disk - Teves system
Other: TRW system

The TRW system may have shims. Check Raybestos parts on rockauto.com

1 - 13 of 13 Posts