The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three rusted pipes underneath my van that have broken, and I'm not sure what they're for.

Two of the broken ones are thin (1/2"?) and, in the middle of the underbody, ran parallel to the back, several inches apart. I just noticed that they were broken today when I was changing my belt tensioner, and someone who had the van before me chose to "repair" it by attaching a rubber heater hose between the two broken parts coming from the front and hung it from the frame with a couple of zip ties :jpshakehe

The other is fairly large (1" I think) and right by the left rail around the middle of the underbody.

I couldn't find anything in my Haynes manual, and Google is completely useless.

·
Super Moderator
4,774 Posts
What you are describing sounds like your rear heater lines have been bypassed.
You can repair the heater lines by installing bulk 5/8" heater hose in their place. My repair has lasted over 15 years. I was tired of replacing the steel lines and having them eaten by road salt in a matter of years.:angrya:

The other larger line is the AC suction line. There should be a smaller liquid line as well.
Does your rear AC work? Mine still does :cool:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought the smaller ones were heater lines.
If I replaced it with new metal ones, would it be okay to paint them with a heat proof paint, to prevent rust?

My A/C has not worked at all in years, front or back.
I never got around to diagnosing the problem though.
Not sure how long the large line had been broken for, as I don't usually approach my van from the rear-left side.

·
Super Moderator
4,774 Posts
I tired an extra coat of paint on my last set of metal lines. The problem is the paint the lines come with blisters and pushes the extra paint off and the rust starts after one winter.

Rubber hose has held up just fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts