The Chrysler Minivan Fan Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy. At the junk yard and found a set of Nivomats. Figured it was a good idea to try and get answers to some questions before buying them.

First question. Is it possible to replace the bushings on both eyes, top and bottom?

Second, should I be able to stretch and compress these by hand?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Howdy. At the junk yard and found a set of Nivomats. Figured it was a good idea to try and get answers to some questions before buying them.

First question. Is it possible to replace the bushings on both eyes, top and bottom?
Yes, I replaced mine. Hardest part was cutting the old ones out. I tried to press them w/ an arbor press, but they would not budge. New ones went in well with a press. I used blue loctite just to be safe on the new bushings. There's a guy who sells them on ebay from Europe. I'll try to dig up the link.

EDIT: Here they are Rear Nivomat Self-Levelling Shock Absorber Bushes Bushings for Dodge Caravan | eBay At one point, they were selling them both in 4 packs, but also solo. I bought solo. A message to them might be in order if you only need one or two

Second, should I be able to stretch and compress these by hand?
No, they should be pretty stiff. From what I've heard, they almost never go bad, except for rust and physical damage. So as long as they look reasonable, I would not hesitate to get them.

·
Registered
2006 Dodge Caravan SXE
1,235 Posts
From what others have said, mount the top of the Nivomat on the van. Then using a floor jack with wheels, align and compress them to mount the lower part.

I follow those same instructions for the Monroe Coil-Owver-Shocks. Works perfectly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I replaced mine. Hardest part was cutting the old ones out. I tried to press them w/ an arbor press, but they would not budge. New ones went in well with a press. I used blue loctite just to be safe on the new bushings. There's a guy who sells them on ebay from Europe. I'll try to dig up the link.

EDIT: Here they are Rear Nivomat Self-Levelling Shock Absorber Bushes Bushings for Dodge Caravan | eBay At one point, they were selling them both in 4 packs, but also solo. I bought solo. A message to them might be in order if you only need one or two

No, they should be pretty stiff. From what I've heard, they almost never go bad, except for rust and physical damage. So as long as they look reasonable, I would not hesitate to get them.

Thanks! I should have no trouble getting the top ones out as they've basically been destroyed.

Thanks you for the link! Wow, they are a tad bit pricey. Can you tell me what they were like when the came in? Just rubber or whatever the material is? Did they have inserts?

I'm kind of wondering if I could just take some measurements and get aftermarket bushings / grommets or whatever they are called? I talked to another person who said thst they make bushings in just about every size imaginable.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what others have said, mount the top of the Nivomat on the van. Then using a floor jack with wheels, align and compress them to mount the lower part.

I follow those same instructions for the Monroe Coil-Owver-Shocks. Works perfectly.

Thanks. I'm definitely going to do them that way. My concern today was whether I could kind of test them there at the yard before buying. Wasn't sure if they could possibly be locked up?

Fwiw, my knowledge of shocks would fit in a thimble. Knowledge of Nivomats is considerably less that that 😁😁😁😁😁

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks! I should have no trouble getting the top ones out as they've basically been destroyed.

Thanks you for the link! Wow, they are a tad bit pricey. Can you tell me what they were like when the came in? Just rubber or whatever the material is? Did they have inserts?

I'm kind of wondering if I could just take some measurements and get aftermarket bushings / grommets or whatever they are called? I talked to another person who said thst they make bushings in just about every size imaginable.
They're a steel outer sleeve, rubber middle, then steel bushing in the middle. Not just a chunk of rubber. IIRC, a pair was $55 shipped. I only needed to do the tops, so a little cheaper that way.

It's possible you could find Mopar originals, or someone to make them cheaper. I'm as cheap as the next guy, but sometimes a known good solution is the cheapest way.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They're a steel outer sleeve, rubber middle, then steel bushing in the middle. Not just a chunk of rubber. IIRC, a pair was $55 shipped. I only needed to do the tops, so a little cheaper that way.

It's possible you could find Mopar originals, or someone to make them cheaper. I'm as cheap as the next guy, but sometimes a known good solution is the cheapest way.

Thanks. I don't know if it's genetics or what, but I'm overly compelled to try and find a cheaper way of doing just about anything if possible 😃

Spent the weekend doing a deep dive / crash course in shock mounts / bushings / isolators / shock grommets, what have you. Found some sources that have parts that look very similar, but without detailed specs, they weren't viable options.

Thanks again for the Ebay link. I ended up doing a couple different Ebay searches and ended up finding a listing for 4 of them for about $43.00 shipped to the US. Order has been placed. Hopefully, they will be here soon (and will be correct and new)

Inserts Bushings shock nivomat for Chrysler Voyager Dodge Caravan 01-07 | eBay

1 - 8 of 8 Posts